PDA

View Full Version : NY label clarification

Danaputnam
03-30-2014, 06:51 PM
I know this topic has been kicked around more than once on this forum and I have reviewed the 947 circular, but no where does it say beyond the grade what needs to legally be on a NY maple syrup container intended for sale. Can someone quickly outline this or share a link with the info? Also, if an address is required, as I expect it might, will a P.O. box suffice or is a physical address required?

Thanks in advance.

Dana

Bucket Head
03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't know about a P.O. box. I have my name, town and state with the zip code and my home phone number. This tells where the syrup came from and anyone who wants to find me can with that info. I know other sugarmakers who have lables the same way. I'm not sure you want everybody to be able to drive right to your location after they see your exact address...

Steve

Loch Muller
03-31-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm putting my business name and address on it along with a phone number. Every one I sell to at this point knows where I live anyways. I was under the impression that producers were required to do this in New York State.

maple flats
03-31-2014, 12:10 PM
You need grade (if you designate grade) and your name (or the legal name of your farm or sugarhouse) and city/state. You do not need to grade but if you do it must be correct. You must also have the container size. They actually want both qts, pts oz etc, AND the metric. However, some inspectors demand that, others let it slide.
Some other things are good for your busiuness but are not required. I have my website, and my phone number. That way it is easier for a customer to get in touch to get more syrup.

happy thoughts
03-31-2014, 12:38 PM
Here's a link to the NY labeling regs

http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/pdfs/FSI514.pdf

re: name and address:

The place of business shall include the street address, city, State and ZIP code. However, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in a current city or telephone directory.

I'd interpret that to mean that if your name appears on the label and you're listed in the phone book you only need the city, state, and zip code.

Danaputnam
03-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Thank you all for the helpful responses. Much appreciated.

Dana