PDA

View Full Version : My weekend...am I done???

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Well starting Thursday I collected, 20 gallons, then 40 Friday, then 30 more on Saturday morning all from my 40 taps at my buddies house. Without that cluster of maples, I wouldn't of been able to even make a galling this season. The trees at my house have literally done nothing for me...small trickles and maybe 40 gallons total on my 70 taps.

Anyways, with the new evaporator, I'm getting about 15gph boil rate and I got through my 90 gallons of sap relatively quickly.

I ended up with exactly 2 gallons of syrup last night, it's all dark amber, but I'm very happy with that result. Here is a pic of my "flow" fast bulk boiling in my back pan, feeding my front pan to get it nice and close and concentrated, then straight into the pot on propane to finish up.

Awesome fast boil on my front pan

My finished results

This is what I woke up to this morning, I had about 3 sacks that looked like this...other sacks right near them had maybe a qt to 1 gallon per bag. Some of this May be rain water, but it certainly can't be a lot compared to my results in the other sacks.

I just don't know if we will be done or not, I got about 25 gallons total this morning, I'm really hoping for enough to boil and get 1 more gallon this week and I'll start cleaning up for the season.

handtapper
03-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Although I'm no expert I'm currently making medium and I'm still hoping for dark and grade b. Its been a long season with slim pickings so I'm hoping for a bangarang ending