PDA

View Full Version : Sap evaporating too fast

OO maple
03-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Usually this is never a problem, But for me it is. My sap seems to be evaporating before it leaves the bucket. Now with that being said.there are dogs in neighborhood, But that is ruled out due to some are too high that seems to be running empty. Can and will deer ever get into them and drink ? My buckets have lids on them, alum. it seems to be happening to around 20-30 of them.so lastly if not it would have to be one other, human.so that being said how can one go about prevention in each case?
Oh, and also almost forgot to add that almost a week ago I went out to check on the buckets and they were around 1/3-1/2 full in each.thought I would leave till end of next day due to under 40 degrees f. when I went out to gather they were empty.

Ittiz
03-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Could they be leaky? Maybe you have something that is siphoning the fluid out? A rag or a strip of cloth could do that if it were over the edge of the bucket and touching the sap.

tendermason
03-30-2014, 02:17 PM
You could set up a trail camera.

heus
03-30-2014, 02:49 PM
If you have no leaks it sounds like foul play to me.

Bruce L
03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Do you have snow that you could follow a trail of footprints, might lead you to some steam coming off someone's pans?

happy thoughts
03-30-2014, 03:18 PM
If your first thought is to blame it on dogs and animal critters then I'd say you're a very trusting person:) But imho you've probably got some thieving human neighbors :cry: A trail cam or catching them in the act may be the only way to help prevent it.

Run Forest Run!
03-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Go into the woods ASAP and tie (or tack) a few handwritten cardboard signs to the trees in clear view of where most of the pilfering seems to occur. All they have to say is "Smile for the camera" and I bet your problem will instantly disappear instead of your sap. Dogs and deer don't read, but they aren't likely your problem.

bees1st
03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
I had a dog steal a bucket the other day, or perhaps it was a deer .

Sugarmaker
03-31-2014, 06:38 AM
I would say you have some neighbors that are making syrup or kids that are dumping your sap.
Good luck. I like the "smile for camera" note!
Regards,
Chris

gmcooper
03-31-2014, 07:40 AM
Are the trees on your land or some one else's? I am guessing some one is either dumping your sap or taking it. I would go with kids dumping it. I like the smile for the camera idea!

bowtie
03-31-2014, 09:08 AM
I would say there is foul play here. most likely kids, at least I would hope because if an adult is stealing your sap that is a sad individual. I worry about that and that is why I have never asked anyone if I can tap yard trees or trees in town. some of my friends have told me they used to relieve themselves in town buckets when they were kids. at least this is not happening to you, you hope anyway.
I did find one of my buckets with a pin hole in it on Friday but I doubt you would have 20 buckets all develop leaks at the same time.

OO maple
03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
In case if it is deer I am going to somehow make it difficult for the lids to lift from the buckets. I would like to believe My neighborhood is honest and would not do things as such. And also would like to believe kids have better things to do other than that. I would have never done such to others as a kid. But I do have to consider this possibility also that others suggests. And have to admit this possibility. As one suggests of pinholes, I will check on this, but don't think this would be the case for all my buckets I am having issues with is in same area.all my others within sight never have problems with. I like the idea smile your on camera, or trail cam. With kids that will be a difficult one to stop.

NTBugtraq
03-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Shame them. Free maple syrup to anyone who collect sap for me...they may steal the sap, but you can be dang sure they aren't boiling it into syrup...give them an incentive to be on your side.

Cheers,
Russ

Waynehere
04-01-2014, 07:11 AM
I had a report that someone was peaking in my buckets over the weekend. This is out front of a house too. No one seemed to know who it was.

Maplesapper
04-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Occams Razor....................dumb kids !!!

davrhods
04-01-2014, 08:58 PM
If you don't have tracking snow it must be mud season follow the sign.