PDA

View Full Version : budding out soon in southern Michigan?

hfitch
03-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the trees budding very soon in southern MI? We boil on a barrel evaporator outside and was debating if we should put up a temporary shelter or save our time/money? I've gotten maybe 40 gallons of sap off of 33 taps in about a week and a half. Expect it to flow pretty good here the next week but I have a feeling its going to be game over within 2 weeks :( If that's the case, I'm thinking just boil outside and nix the temp. shed til we can built more permanent this summer. Thoughts anyone?

Thumb Bum
03-30-2014, 06:50 PM
My box elder budded today

hfitch
03-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Buds are starting to swell on the maples here. Our box elders still look about the same.

mantispid
03-31-2014, 01:12 AM
I can see the buds up on the trees getting bigger... but so far the sap tastes fine. I have little doubt that this is likely the last week of usable flow, though... or any flow, at that.

That would make a total of 3 weeks worth sap for me... quite a difference from last year's 9 weeks.

xune
03-31-2014, 02:06 AM
No buds up here in the Northern Lower Peninsula yet. Or at least where I'm located. I'm hoping for another good week or two of flow. This is my first year, and I have about 50 gallons of sap collected at this point.

toquin
03-31-2014, 06:31 AM
Buds are fine, but firewood is gone, putting taps today. Made about 150 gal.

hfitch
03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
First day I've had any kind of good flow going. Had to dump from the road side trees down at the neighbors. 15 taps in 5 trees has given me about 20 gallons of sap as of an hour ago.

tberryer
03-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Since this is only my second year with this very small hobby, when do I quit if buds are growing? I have a silver maple and the buds are quite noticeable. Is there a taste test on the sap or won't you find out until its been reduced? Last year I quit around April 10 if I recall correctly because nighttime temps were too high and everything was A-OK even though I remember some buds.

mzstein
03-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Usually you can taste it in the sap - hard to explain until you taste it.
I ran some late sap one year and the syrup had a flowery taste

I usually look for the buds to start opening - you can actually see greenish
color instead of all red .

Forecast for 60 and rain tuesday - so that might be it.

tberryer
03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Is flowery tasting bad? Sounds interesting to me depending on the strength, I suppose. I'll take a closer look at the buds. It does seem tonight and tomorrows weather is going to help the tree come alive a lot sooner. I'm not expecting any flow tomorrow, but then we'll be back in production for a day or two. Thanks mzstein!

mzstein
03-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Its an interesting taste . My wife did not like it. It happened our first
year b/c we tapped very late and it got warm really fast . Might be
interesting to try some so you know. I wouldn't mis it with any of your
other sap / syrup .

I think for the health of the tree you are also supposed to pull the taps
when they start budding - besides the bud sap issue .

Have fun

hfitch
03-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Last year when they got close to budding, I pulled a little of the sap out and cooked it down on the stove top to test it out before I added it to rest of the sap. I never did get buddy sap and from the sounds of it I definetly don't want it mixed with the good sap - yuck!!

mantispid
04-01-2014, 10:20 AM
I haven't boiled any 'buddy sap', but I'm told that it is unmistakable... something akin to boiling old unwashed gym socks... and a syrup with a similar flavor. >_>