PDA

View Full Version : Lollipops

Al
02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for the maple leaf lollipops? Care to share any secrets to making good ones?
Thanks Al

powerdub
02-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Good question Al, I would like to make those small maple leaf hard candies also.

themapleking
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Lollipops :?: I have the molds, glucose & syrup. So how do you make'em :idea:
Over 200 members somebody must know :roll:

chris
12-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Mapleking,
Add 2 cups maple syrup with 2/3 cups Glucose.
Cook together without stirring to a hard ball stage. Pour by tablespoon onto a greased cookie or lollipop mold. Press into each mold a lollipop stick,allow to harden. Seal in a plastic bag when cool.

Al
12-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi Chris, what do you use to grease your molds? Can't wait to try and make lollipops next season.
Take care.

themapleking
12-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Al
I use glycerina in all of my candy molds. I can't see why Pam wouldn't do just as good. Cheaper too.

mapleman3
12-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Whose Pam? does she make lollipops too? :wink:

Al
12-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks Maple King. I figured out last year that for a small operation like mine I can make a good as profit in candy because I don't have a big enough syrup supply to go all year. Of course could be different this year. Going up to 130 taps and thats it. :D (again) :wink:

mapleman3
12-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I love it Al, you'll be up to 200 by the time you boil.. :wink: 8)
Candy sure does pull in a profit, I know when I made a quart worth of candy, I brought the price of that quart to almost $22 thats $88 for a gallon of syrup! Nice profit, a guy could pay off his investment in a years time if he makes enough and has the folks to sell to, I believe I will break even this year from last years and this years investment. make as many as ya can if you have somewhere to sell them 8)

themapleking
01-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Okay guys I got this figured out. Went to the NYS conferance. and their receips for lollipops.
1 cup maple syrup- 1 cup corn syrup or glucose- 1 cup sugar.
Heat up to 300 degrees hard crack stage. Keep stiring the syrup. It will burn fast when temps get higher than 240. When it's at 300 remove from heat let it cool to 275 than pour into your molds.
It's that simple. This syrup producer makes over 10,000 lollipops a yr so they must know something.
The shelf life is very long like most hard candies.
This receipe will make 30 lollipops, and at 50 cents each you can make a ton of money.

Al
01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the recipe. Now can't wait to try it! It's my sister's boyfriends birthday today and he has requested a double order of brownies. :D So the lollipops will have to wait. It a crying shame when the only boy in the family is the best cook! 8O :D :wink: (except for Mom of course! :D )

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Joe,

Thanks for posting the info. I meant to ask you after the session about what they told you and forgot. Guess I will have to give it a try! I would think if you used like a good flavored grade B syrup, you would have a better tasting lollipop, but not sure :?: :?:

themapleking
01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
At .50 cents each 30 per 1 cup of syrup and 4 cups in a quart. That comes out to $60 a quart of syrup making lollipops.
Who's thinking about lollipops now.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Me! Me! Me! Me!

At that price, you could offer them for say 3 for $ 1 or even more discount for a larger quanity! :D

mapleman3
10-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I got all my molds. stcks and packaging in Fri. and made my first batch, they came out real good except they didn't come out of the mold as perfect as I hoped, I didn't coat the molds, I saw here that Joe used Glycerina? has anyone used Pam or similar spray yet? Joe I must have missed that part when you showed us how to make the lollipops at the Ya'll come.

themapleking
10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Pam or a equal spray also works. I only did mine up one or two x's and they still come out of the moulds fine. Just made up another 400 suckers two weeks ago. I've made over 2000 with the same molds. Just about out of suckers again.
How are you doing with the maple jelly :wink:

mapleman3
10-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks Joe, I haven't tried doing the jelly yet, I will soon though. This week I'm gearing up for my 1st fair this weekend, should be fun. hope to sell a bunch but who knows, it's a church fair may not be a big turnout.

Rocky Mountain Maples
11-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Mapleman3 I use Pam on my molds an it works great. You dont have to spray every time. You can usually get about 4-6 rounds out of your mold before spraying again. My recipe is 500 ml of maple syrup and 500 ml of glucose or light corn syrup. I cook it in a heavy bottom pot to about 305 farenheit. then spoon it into molds just after taking it off the heat. The longer you cook it and the more glucose you use the more shelf life you get. I try to use the lightest syrup possible although medium works to but suckers turn out darker. Becareful as it reaches the higher temps. It can burn!!! I make close to 8,000 lollipops a year. Maple leaf, moose, and lobster shapes........Good luck and happy cooking.

Sugarmaker
11-15-2006, 07:36 PM
What type of molds are you guys using?
whats the going rate on a sucker?
Also where do you get the sticks?
Do you think the light syrup looks better as a sucker?
Will the dark B or C grade work?

Sorry for all the questions, sounds like a fun project.
Chris

mapleman3
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
I use maple leaf lollipop molds and mooses or meese? :lol:
the stick I get at a local cake/party store, the bags too, But I'm sure Chris here at Maple Guys can get everything for you....
I use the Light A syrup, gives great color and taste. we did use dark one time but seems easy to burn, you have to stir the whole time which could be like 40 minutes if you make alot or the heat not too high. we made a bunch at the beginning of the week :D

Rocky Mountain Maples
11-16-2006, 05:01 AM
I use a white plastic molds. It usually has 4-6 cavities. D&G dealer should carry them. The maple leaf ones i sell for around .50 cents and the moose and lobster i sell around 1.50 they are much larger. I do see them as high as 2.00. As for the sticks I buy them from packaging companys bulk but your maple dealer should carry them if not ask him to bring them in. I like the look of lighter syrup and it isnt as likely to burn . I hope that answers your questions . Good luck

mapleman3
11-16-2006, 06:22 AM
I too do .50 cents a pop, $1 for the moose which I guess I'm too low on, the lollipops do sell well and make you good money for little investment :lol: 8)

mapleguy
11-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Rocky Mtn is the expert there , perhaps he will share some info as he makes hundreds every year, even lobster shaped ones

Sugarmaker
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks Guys,
Looks like I will be getting some molds and supplies as another trader has offered to combine orders to get us started. (James!!!!)
These suckers might go over real well at our open house this spring.
Thanks for the pricing ideas too!
Regards,
Chris

Father & Son
11-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Yah, Yah! Blame the rookie :wink: Just think of the problem I have :!: I'll have to find more trees, get more buckets, enlarge the sugar shack, get a bigger evaporator, and cut more wood just to make enough syrup to try all the ideas and recipes posted here. Oh the dilema :!:
Spring can't come fast enough.

Jim

Sugarmaker
11-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Jim,
Thanks for bring over the supplies and helping with the maple mustard.
If the stars are aligned tonight I might try to make some suckers. I may just start with a cup of syrup and a cup of Karo.
Couple of questions for the experts:
1. How long does it take for the suckers to set up? ( the leaf shape)
2. Also how long can you let the syrup set after cooking and before spooning into molds?
3. Has anyone poured this into the rubber type molds and sold without the stick?

Thanks,

Rocky Mountain Maples
11-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Chris

The suckers dont take very long to set up. You can put them in the bags about ten minutes after you pour them.
I dont let it set around after I have cooked it. I put it in molds right after its been cooked. I spoon it into the molds and it takes a bit of time. The batch my start to harden before its all poured so I may turn the burner on low just as I am finishing up so it wont set.
I have never tried pouring it in the rubber molds. Not sure if it will work. The suckers are very high temp. and I am not sure that the rubber will stand it. If any ever tries let me know how it works out.

Dave

Father & Son
11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Dave,
I tried my first batch of suckers tonight with no luck. Used 1 cup light maple syrup and one cup light corn syrup, cooked it in a 2 qt sauce pan to 305 F on a medium/high heat stirring occasionally and spooned it into the molds. The suckers looked great when they were done but they had a burnt taste. What did I do wrong? This mixture in a 2 qt sauce pan is very shallow and doesn't come up the stem of the thermometer very far, was I getting an accurate reading? Maybe I should use a smaller pan. Any suggestions?

Jim

Rocky Mountain Maples
11-30-2006, 04:41 AM
Jim

The pot I use is 6 1/4 inches diameter and 5 1/2 inches deep. The pot I use also has a heavy thick bottom. I put 500ml of syrup and 500 ml of glucose. 500ml is 2 cups. I dont stir it while its cooking. When the temp. reaches about 280 or 290 I sometimes turn down the heat just a bit. This came from practice. I takes a while getting used to the pot and the amounts required for the size of the pot so as not to burn it. You may not of had enough maple syrup and corn syrup for the size of your pot and your temp. was too high for those amounts you had. And yes you may not of had enough in the pot to get an accurate reading on the thermometer. You dont have to cook them to 305 like I do at the first. Try taking them to 275 to 285 until you get used to it. They should harden at those temp. They just wont have as much shelf life at room temp. You could refrigerate them until your ready to sell them.
When i cook mine I have to use a pinch of defoamer to keep it in the pot just at the very start when it boils up. After it settles down it boils well up on the thermometer so as to get an accurate reading.
Try not to get discouraged I burnt some batches also when I first started out. :oops:

Dave

NH Maplemaker
11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Chris, I have made pops in the rubber molds and they came out very nice :!: They looked perfect. I just raped them in a small clear cello wrap :D They were kinda big to eat all at once, so just broke them up when eating. Jim L.

Father & Son
11-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Dave,
Tried your suggestions and tonights batch of suckers turned out great. :D I used 1 pint of light syrup and 1 pint of corn syrup and only cooked it to 285 F and kept backing the heat down on the stove. I then poured it into a double boiler which gave me a little more time to work before it started to thicken. That batch made 18 small, 5 medium, and 10 large suckers along with 20 of the maple candies in the rubber mold which turned out great. I sprayed the rubber mold with the cooking spray and they came out pretty easy and the mold looks fine. Next batch I'm going to try to take to 300 or 305 to give it that additional hardness. Any ideas on how to spoon it into the molds neatly? :? Those little strings of maple candy all over the stove didn't go over too well. :oops:
Thanks for your ideas and advice.

Jim

Rocky Mountain Maples
12-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Jim

When I am spooning into molds I use an upside down baking dish(my wifes favourite, dont tell her :roll: ) and place it next to my stove burner on the edge of my cupboard and a table that i slide up against. I then take one mold at a time and set it up on the dish so to bring it higher up on my pot lip. This helps prevent the strings from going every which way. I have a separate stove in my basement that I use so as not to get the wifes all messy. This always helps in the relationship :wink: Sorry I dont have any pics. to show you. I know it sounds kinda complicated. I hope this will help you out.
I dont use a double boiler but if it works for you great. I just turn my heat back on a very little bit towards the end to keep it liquid. I find it darkens the suckers as you progress but they still taste fine.
Glad to here the rubber molds worked. I may try making some next time.

Sugarmaker
12-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Jim,
I had the same problems getting started also. Too big of pan with 1 cup syrup and 1 cup Karo. Went to 305, but the thermometer jumped to 310 when I took it off the burner. Filled most of the cavities in the molds that I have with a small ladle. Several folks commented that it tasted burnt also. Candy came out a dark amber color. I like the leaf size and shape mold/s and if those sold a $.50 they would turn a little syrup into a lot of money. I had the string problem all over the place too. The candy hardened in the pan before I could get it all out, so keeping it on a low heat, or some way to keep it soft (liquid) would be a good idea too. Any one try placing in a glass Pyrex for pouring, then microwaving it to reheat?
All in all I was very please to have another potential value added product. These suckers would be great at the open house. The Santa one is probably too big as it might take the better part of a afternoon to finish that size. The hearts were a nice size too.
I may try a different pan and a lower temp too. Also Cheryl loves to have me play with this kind of stuff in the sugar house not the kitchen!

Thanks for all your help. We are well on our way to making more suckers.

Regards,
Chris

Father & Son
12-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Chris,
I had my best luck backing the heat down on the stove as the temp of the syrup went up. When it was at 285 the electric stove was on 3.5 and the syrup was just starting to get darker. I guess color change isn't really indicative of flavor because they tasted OK. I think the trick is going to be keeping a slow boil at the lowest possible heat. The hardest part for me is keeping it liquid long enough to get it in the molds. I tried a double boiler with mixed results, may just try the lowest heat possible and see what happens. My favorites were the maple leafs out of the rubber molds. Just pop them in your mouth and they last quite a while. :D

I still have to thank Dave (Rocky Mountain Maples) for all his insight.

Going to mess up the kitchen tomorrow night with another batch. 8O

Jim

Rocky Mountain Maples
12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Chris and Jim

I have heard of people using pyrex pouring cup and if it gets thick just microwave it a bit to finish. Never tried it. I suspect it works ok. Let me know if you try it.

Dave

Sugarmaker
12-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks Dave And Jim!