PDA

View Full Version : pulled the plug

dogpatch
03-29-2014, 03:09 PM
My first year produced about 3.5 gal. of syrup.With warm weather coming and a granddaughter coming I pulled all my buckets today.Slowed up with warm weather today.Interesting reading about tapping walnut trees.I have many more walnuts than I do maple, walnuts are closer and easier to get to.Might try that next year. Sure learned a lot reading everyones posts.

TerryEspo
03-29-2014, 03:29 PM
How interesting how we have the same hobby and how geography affects us.
You are done and I have not even started.
Maybe my trees are dripping today, not home to check them.
I don't know who is better off, lol.
Hope your year was great and congratulations to the new family member soon.

KevinS
03-29-2014, 04:48 PM
warmer?
it is too cold for a run here today. but I expect a really good run tomorrow.
To late for this year, but a half mile down the road I can tap a whole bunch of black walnuts. we discussed it over some hard cider. nice chat.

DonMcJr
03-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes and I just started boiling last night here in SE Michigan... but with the Buds opening on trees other than Maples I'm starting to think this is going to be a short 2 week season for me then DONE!

KevinS
03-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Yes and I just started boiling last night here in SE Michigan... but with the Buds opening on trees other than Maples I'm starting to think this is going to be a short 2 week season for me then DONE!

I have never made this much syrup on so few buckets. also never in this short of a time.
Sweetest sap I have ever seen... unless I forgot a few collections, hit 39 to 1 on one collection. low forties on others. last night was trending back up though. but.. we have had 70 and even 80 here before.

TreeTapper2
03-29-2014, 11:36 PM
My sap has been sweeter this year as well. On my second boil tonight, almost done. 210 gal of sap so far this year. Looked at the buckets today and they are almost full. Between today and tomorrow I will have another 100gal to boil. Next two days will hit 60s but then drop back to 40s for the week.

KevinS
03-30-2014, 12:51 AM
My sap has been sweeter this year as well. On my second boil tonight, almost done. 210 gal of sap so far this year. Looked at the buckets today and they are almost full. Between today and tomorrow I will have another 100gal to boil. Next two days will hit 60s but then drop back to 40s for the week.
I am glad yours has been good this year too!
I bet it goes like gang busters tomorrow! at least here.