PDA

View Full Version : Still no maple flavor

Execmech
03-28-2014, 09:39 PM
My first year. I've learned a lot already. I have only boiled a few gallons a few times but have been doing it for about 3 weeks. I just boiled another 3 gallons or so tonight and I still do not have much of a maple flavor? Any input would be great. Thanks

Sandersyrup
03-28-2014, 09:57 PM
My trees don't produce any maple flavor until the syrup gets darker. All butterscotch/vanilla. But once I hit MA and DA thing get really tasty.

Not much you can do about it from what I know. Just be patient.

maple flats
03-29-2014, 04:50 AM
While it costs you some sugar, let the sap set a little longer before boiling. The time depends on the sap temperature, but if you start boiling when the sap first starts to get cloudy, it will have more flavor.
You have produced the almighty "light Amber", and it often has little flavor. For the life of me I can't figure what appeals to producers or customers who want light amber.

red maples
03-29-2014, 05:07 AM
how many gallons have you boiled so far. boiling down 3 gallons won't give you much if any syrup at all but like others said you are making light syrup which doesn't have much flavor that is if your syrup is finished. Also keep adding what you boiled to the same batch and that will also help to carmelize those sugars and help to develop the flavors. Also "aging" your sap a little bit will help too. but remember its 40:1 sap to syrup so until you start to get down to a thicker product you might not have a lot of flavor.

Russell Lampron
03-29-2014, 05:09 AM
While it costs you some sugar, let the sap set a little longer before boiling. The time depends on the sap temperature, but if you start boiling when the sap first starts to get cloudy, it will have more flavor.
You have produced the almighty "light Amber", and it often has little flavor. For the life of me I can't figure what appeals to producers or customers who want light amber.

The packers like it because they can blend commercial with it and turn it into dark amber which is the most common grade on store shelves. It is mostly tourist that like the light amber because it looks pretty in glass. They don't know anything about maple flavor. Most of my customers prefer the grade B and dark amber.

Sandersyrup
03-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Aging the sap. Huh. This makes me wonder if the maple flavor has something to do with bacteria?

Clinkis
03-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Aging the sap. Huh. This makes me wonder if the maple flavor has something to do with bacteria?

Yes it does. Maybe Dr.Tim can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bacteria will start to break down the sugers in the sap and this what creates a lot of the flavour in the syrup. As I understand it. Some producers age their sap to obtain the desired flavour and colour. Obviously there is a fine line between creating a robust flavoured syrup and spoiling sap!

happy thoughts
03-29-2014, 08:46 AM
I believe not all bacteria are created equal. There is at least one that is known to improve maple flavor. If you're growing that, you're golden. But there are many others that are just as likely to spoil it or produce ropey syrup like the OP. Like blue cheese or yogurt, it's not any old bacteria that produces a good product. If you're going to age sap purposely be ready to get what you get.

Clarkfield Farms
03-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Similar to yeasts and fermentation. Take the same grain bill and hops but divide it into several batches, use a different yeast for each, and you will not believe that they all were one before the start of fermentation. Likewise with wine - take the grapes from ONE VINE, divide the must into several batches, and add a different wine yeast to each... Not only will you not believe that they were all from the same varietal, but to be told that they were all from the same vine --- no. Unless you did it yourself, there's likely to be at minimum a lingering doubt. Really amazing outcomes. And not all are good. :)