PDA

View Full Version : Another hydrometer question

bluefinn
03-28-2014, 01:20 PM
To get things right this year I bought A leader short & I want to make sure of the marks. The top red line says hot test211f & its at 59. The lower red line says cold test at close to 70. After all the reading on here I know brix is 66. There's a black line just above the bulb that says brix thats below 75.. I'm confused, seems the labeled it backwards. For boiling syrup I should be at the middle red line ,right?

NW Ohio
03-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Density (which you are testing) changes with temperature. The Hot Test line is correct if the syrup is at 211F, which if you put it in the test cup right out of the pan will probably be pretty close as it will be cooling in the cup. The line that appears to be labeled Brix is probably just the end of the scale, Brix being printed there probably has nothing to do with that exact position but is only there telling you that is unit of measure being used (as opposed to the Baume scale).

This pdf from Leader will probably be pretty useful: http://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf_files/syrup-hydrometer.pdf

If your hydrometer says 59 and your temp is 211F the syrup will be about 66.9 Brix if you allow it to cool to 60F.