PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the end

Noah's Ark
03-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Looks like this is the last run this weekend. long range temps don't show a night lower than 32 for the next week. Not a great year, only mad 5 gallons so far and will finish off another 2-3 this weekend. I was hoping for 15-20 this year, but at least I enjoyed the new evaporator. I do have a question for others. This is my first year with a continuous flow pan. How do you finish off what is left in the pan. I am thinking I will boil it down as low as i can then empty the pan and finish in the house. I may stop drawing after i get the sweat our and the draw off starts to turn clear. Any other suggestions?

lafite
03-28-2014, 01:49 PM
I empty my pan out and finish on propane. I usually end up with close to 2 gallons of syrup when it's boiled down.

markct
03-28-2014, 04:20 PM
I am realy hoping that a few of those 32 deg night make it to like 28 or 29 deg, seems the accuweather.com temps are often about 3 to 5 deg high for my area so I am optimistic it could happen but time will tell!

DaveB
03-28-2014, 07:46 PM
I am realy hoping that a few of those 32 deg night make it to like 28 or 29 deg, seems the accuweather.com temps are often about 3 to 5 deg high for my area so I am optimistic it could happen but time will tell!

One thing to keep in mind about those Accuweather forecasts is that they are almost entirely generated by a computer with little input from someone who knows your area. As someone with a meteorology background, I rely on the NWS because that's done by someone in a regional office that knows your area a little better even then it's not perfect. Micro climates are all over and it's hard to to predict those.

I'm with you though. Things look marginal here for some nights so I'm hoping we can pull out some sub-freezing nights. This happened a few years ago where we had marginal conditions for a week and I didn't have vacuum running then but people that had vacuum said that it saved them so I'm hoping that might hold true this year. After 4/5, things look good again, so we'll see.

DonMcJr
03-28-2014, 07:52 PM
This better not be the end! Just finally got 100 gallons to boil here in SE Michigan and just started my 1st boil 2 hours ago!

markct
03-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Daveb, I appreciate the input and well know the shortcomings of accuweather and others I just usualy use it cause its easiest to view on my phone and during sugar season my addiction has me checking it all day at work! I must say it isn't actualy too far off usualy, well once I factor in about a 3 to 5 deg offset, seems wherever they get there temp is almost always that much higher than it is. So I am pretty hopefull that we will see a freeze up to save us a few more days! Just came back in the house after pumping out 1500 gallons and its still running in strong, 2 days ago was 11 deg in the morning so I think that is helping it keep running without a freeze last night, and the vac helps of course!

lafite
03-28-2014, 08:49 PM
I created my own weather station last year....that's how much I keep tabs on my local conditions!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCTCHESH7