PDA

View Full Version : ibc food grade tote

ForFun
03-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Has anyone used a 275gal ibc food grade tote for storing sap, that had Lactic Acid in it?
Is this a bad idea even if I would thoroughly wash it out with hot water?? Any thoughts on this would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

regor0
03-27-2014, 11:44 PM
The rule of thumb is if you wouldn't drink a glass of what was in it don't use it.

tcross
03-28-2014, 06:31 AM
Lactic acid is a natural anti-bacterial cleaning agent that is used in a lot of stuff! it is used by dairy farmers for cleaning stainless tanks and parts as well as utters! Clean it out with hot water and scrub her down and you'll be good ! make sure it doesn't have any smell to it and you'll be ok!

ForFun
03-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Ok, thank you for responding!

Clarkfield Farms
03-29-2014, 09:30 AM
:o >urp!< Well, I wouldn't drink a glass of canola oil or a glass of vanilla extract, but I'll gladly use those IBC's that formerly held them. :)

WESTMAPLES
03-29-2014, 09:42 AM
I agree with tcross and clarkfield, I wouldn`t drink what is leftover but after its cleaned and basically smell free, I wouldn`t think twice about eating my dinner off it. keep up the good work, till the buddy end !

Burnt sap
03-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Those tanks have a tendency to off flavor sap from what was stored in it prior to your usage. If cleaned well, try it on a small batch of syrup first so not to spoil a lot of work. I have two and have had no problems with mine they had corn syrup in them first.