PDA

View Full Version : We Are Still Going.

Indiana-Jones
03-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Mother Nature gave us a reset Monday and Tuesday nights down to near 20F. Been collecting maybe a bit over a gallon per tap each of the last two evenings. Today was overcast, I think we could have done better if we had some sun.
Hoping to have around 400 gallons to boil by the weekend for one last boil of 2014. It is looking like we may get to 40-45 gallons of syrup for the year. A record for our small time operation.

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Outstanding! Who wudda thunk that your small hobby would develop into this......

Indiana-Jones
03-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the compliment Larry. It has been a fun year here, our whole family, three grown kids, my son-in-law and brother-in-law hung tough all season. (I'm not saying anything bad about anyone) but... in past, by this late in the season, everyone seems to loose interest. One highlight this year is my daughter (today is her 28th birthday) turned out to be quite the steam engineer. She ran the evaporator more than anyone, helped with the tubing and did a fine job.

I don't have to tell anyone that this winter has been a doozy, making maple helped the time fly.

Next week I'm ready for spring.

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah, that old sap bug will bite just about anybody. It don't care about age, gender, nope.
Sounds like you guys had a real enjoyable time there.