PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER pan question

newmod
03-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Planning for next year already. Would it be practical to have a 2 x 4 drop flue pan with a flat pan 1 x 2 in front of it ? I like to finish on my turkey cooker! Also how does one transfer the sap/syrup from flue pan to flat pan in front? I really don't know much about pans, just what might work for me. I am using 2 - 2x2 pans on my oil tank cooker. Gonna weld up a new evaporator for next year. My boil rate right now isn't very good. Thanks

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Newmod,
That will work just fine.
More mainstream yet is a 2 X 2 syrup pan in front of a 4 foot flue pan. Sap flows thru an external transfer pipe from the flue pan to the syrup pan. This pipe can have a valve in it, to isolate your 2 pans during non-boiling periods, and to allow syrup pan removal, turning and cleaning without draining the flue pan.

newmod
03-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Ok that sounds good, but, aren't you still going to have sap in the flues or are you just taking it down that low until next boil?

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Yes, my flue pan never sees daylight after the first boil. You just boil til you're out of sap for the day, then stop firing in time for the rig to cool down at the same time the sap tank goes dry. Depending on niter or scale build up, you may remove the front pan for cleaning, but the flue pan just stays full.

newmod
03-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Should the flat pan be a few inches lower so sap will actually flow into it?

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 07:38 PM
No. If you have a drop-flue rear pan, the level is the same in both pans. In a raised flue rear pan, the front pan has another, separate float box, to control the level.
I am keeping my ears open for anyone who has raised their rear, drop flue pan up, like on 1 inch high by 2 inch wide rectangular tubing. This would allow the rear pan to run shallower (faster) without the danger of running the front pan TOO low. I might also try running my AOF thru this structure, to cool it and pre-heat the AOF air. I admit I haven't thought this thru to the end, just dreamed up the front part of this idea.

newmod
03-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Also with the first couple of feet being the firebox, I see how that front pan will boil, but without the fire being under the flue pan, isn't it hard to keep that pan at a boil ? Is the where you have to have the correct clearance from the ramp to the flue pan ?

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 07:44 PM
You are right again. The firebox is under the front pan, but heat is drawn (or blown) all the way thru the drop flues, and out the stack. My whole 10 feet boils like mad.

newmod
03-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Great thanks, It is just taking to long on my two flat pans. I had better start now with the construction.

brikel
03-27-2014, 07:53 PM
what is the dimensions on you firebox?

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 07:58 PM
On mine? The "grates" are 3x3 square tube, rotated to diamond shape, and are 39 inches long. We burn 20 inch wood.

brikel
03-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks Ipakiz, I am looking to modify my wood burner into an arch. The firebox is 22 inches deepby 15 inches high I am going to drop the bottom and cut the back out to build and add a ramp just looking for dimensions. How about yours Newmod?

newmod
03-28-2014, 10:10 AM
My firebox is about 26x26 but I used what metal I had from my build that behind my firebox it just slopes upward towards the back, as you can see in my avatar. I know It is not engineered correctly. We just threw it together in about a day just so we could start boiling. No grates or draft door. My ashes really start to pile up towards the end of the day. It has made me about 4 gallons so far this year so I guess I cant complain too much. Expanding to 100 taps next year so I had better get my crap together.

eustis22
03-28-2014, 02:40 PM
square tube holds up to the heat?

lpakiz
03-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Eustis,
Yes, they do. They are made of 3 X 3 x 3/16 square tube, and are rotated 45 degrees in a diamond configuration. They are submerged in ash all the time. The high pressure blower sends most of the ash out the stack and I use a flat shovel and/or a wide hoe to get the rest. I don't clean out between the points, just make the ash level with the tips of the tubes.

eustis22
03-30-2014, 09:57 AM
awesome....I refuse to drop the $$$ on a grate from bascoms or leader so I've been making do with a couple of cast iron ones I got from tractor supply. But they don't stand up to the heat all that well.....I have access to reasonably priced square tube so I'll make that this summers project...thanks!