PDA

View Full Version : Price diferance between large and small used evap

ejmaple
03-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Just throwing this out there, it's been bothering me for awhile. Take a look at the evap classifieds there are two large fairly new rigs for sale that are under 10k and some smaller rigs very similar in price. Why are the large rigs with twice the amount of material and more labor to make, priced so close to rigs nearly half the size.

DaveB
03-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Personally, I think it has to do with demand. It seems like a lot more people are looking for 2x6 evaporators than 4x16 evaporators. It requires a much larger operation to operate a larger evaporator and there are fewer of those than smaller ones. Supply and demand.

You're right though, you get more material for fewer dollars with a larger one.

jgrenier
03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
supply and demand not many people want or need the large ones would be my guess

NTBugtraq
03-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Maybe its the accountant in me, but...larger evaps have been written off on the books already and their size, and the harm that can come to them by being left unused make the owners want to sell them quick...and therefore cheap. They aren't selling them because they can't use them, but usually because they have been replaced...ergo...now where do I put it? The other, less likely position, is they were a relic from Dad whose gone now...and children just want to divvy up what cash can be gleaned.

But I totally agree (because I am one of them) that smaller evaps may be a significant investment initially, but if they will make me money through my retirement its a more than recoverable cost (my $5000 investment today in a 18" x 5' I expect will be recovered before this year is done.) But I can do that out of my 3.5 acre retirement home, to get to a $10k evap I'd have to buy the 40 acres next to me (prolly $100k investment).

Cheers,
Russ

Russell Lampron
03-27-2014, 05:00 PM
The main reason that large evaporators sell cheap is because all of the big producers are using RO's and don't need the big evaporators anymore. What used to require a 6x16 evaporator can now be done with a big RO and 3x10 evaporator.

lpakiz
03-27-2014, 07:53 PM
And my back starts to hurt when I read about a 6 x 16.
How much wood or oil will that unit consume in a season, compared to a 3 X 10?

maple flats
03-28-2014, 05:05 AM
With today's RO's, very few need the large size. There thus is far more demand for smaller ones. Those who do need the big ones are well established and are less likely to buy used too.

Ryan August
03-28-2014, 05:18 AM
also think about labor cost to build. A giant pan as four corners, a small pan has four courners, hence a similar number of welds, a similar number of bends. Yes more material, maybe not all that much more labor, until you get to the flues. Just sharing a thought.

collinsmapleman2012
03-28-2014, 05:59 AM
A lot of it has to do with demand. many people start out with flat pans, or a 2x6 and when they want to grow, they get something manageable to boil sap in after work or when they have time, and add R.O. to decrease processing time. it all depends on where you want it to go to. I bought my 6x14 because a got a smoking deal on it, way below scrap price. while I have 1300 taps out this year, I plan to grow, to 2,000+ taps next year and 5,000 in a few years. sure, its a bit big for this year, but next year it will be sized well and I can have it for years to come. it all depends on what you want and how you want it. I have seen 20,000 taps run on 3 evaporators and a small R.O. (in the perspective of 20,000 taps, I think it was an 1800 gph or something), two were just flue pans and the third was a finishing rig, but I have also seen one with crazy amounts of R.O. and one big evaporator.

Cabin
03-28-2014, 07:51 AM
But I totally agree (because I am one of them) that smaller evaps may be a significant investment initially, but if they will make me money through my retirement its a more than recoverable cost (my $5000 investment today in a 18" x 5' I expect will be recovered before this year is done.) But I can do that out of my 3.5 acre retirement home, to get to a $10k evap I'd have to buy the 40 acres next to me (prolly $100k investment).

Cheers,
Russ

So when are you closing on the land??? :-)

unc23win
03-28-2014, 08:36 AM
A lot of it has to do with demand. many people start out with flat pans, or a 2x6 and when they want to grow, they get something manageable to boil sap in after work or when they have time, and add R.O. to decrease processing time. it all depends on where you want it to go to. I bought my 6x14 because a got a smoking deal on it, way below scrap price. while I have 1300 taps out this year, I plan to grow, to 2,000+ taps next year and 5,000 in a few years. sure, its a bit big for this year, but next year it will be sized well and I can have it for years to come.

I second that its like buying a used small 4 wheel drive tractor prices are crazy go a few horse power more and the prices come back down. I bought a used 3.5x14 smoking deal as well and it is a little big for this season (1600 taps), but I have potential for A LOT more taps (5000 easy) so I didn't want to start with a smaller rig which might have been more money and then have to go shopping again in a year or so.

spud
03-28-2014, 08:53 AM
And my back starts to hurt when I read about a 6 x 16.
How much wood or oil will that unit consume in a season, compared to a 3 X 10?

No more oil then your 3x10. Your just going to boil in a third of the time. I would rather boil all my sap in 2 hours on a 6x16 then spend 6-8 hours boiling on a 3x10. You have to have enough taps for such a large rig though. A person with only 1000 taps does not want to boil for 15 minutes and then shut down. It comes down to how many hours do you want to spend boiling and how many hours do you want to spend checking for leaks. I would rather be in the woods checking for leaks (this is where the money is made). Dollar for dollar if you have about 3000 or more taps then buying a big used rig could be a real smart move. Some good ones are selling for less then $10,000.

Spud