PDA

View Full Version : A list of tappable trees and syrups.

Sandersyrup
03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm looking to create a more definitive list of trees that can be tapped for sugar. Very very low brix is not a concern, just a list of plausible syrup trees specifically through tapping so blue spruce and other bark boiled syrups are not a part of this list.

A little searching on the internet and I have found comments about the following trees.

Trees that definitely bleed sap and can make syrup during springtime:
Maple (all Acer)
Walnut (all Juglans)
Birches (some Betula)
Hickory (all Carya)
Palm (some Palmae) not so much springtime. ;)

Trees that definitely bleed sap during the springtime. Quality, edibility and sugar unknown.
Beeches (Fagus)
Elms (Ulmus)
Grapes (Vitis)
Lindens (Tilia)
Mulberries (Morus)
Poplars (Populus)

I have heard that Apple trees can be tapped but can't verify it.

I ask because my neighbor has a bunch of pear trees he wants to know if can be tapped. He does not like the pear fruit quality.

Ittiz
03-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Beeches can be tapped for sure. Not sure what time a year is best though. I have a giant old beech tree with a trunk canker. The canker bleeds tons of sap in the fall, haven't noticed much in the spring.

I've wondered about using vacuum on trees that aren't normally tappable. Maybe some trees that don't run could be induced to run by a vacuum.

CampHamp
03-26-2014, 10:43 PM
There is mention of Beech (European), Elm (European white), hornbeam, sycamore, poplars... in this paper (http://www.academia.edu/2343701/Uses_of_tree_saps_in_northern_and_eastern_parts_of _Europe) on tree saps collected in northern Europe (a historical perspective). Birch was by far the most mentioned. I wonder which birches are the best and if it would boil fine in a maple evaporator.

WindyPoplars
03-27-2014, 07:30 AM
I would not touch any kind poplar for sap. But we do Birch. There is a thread a bit back that I started on how we do it.
The black cottonwoods (poplar), are used to collect early spring buds and make salve, something we take advantage of every year. It is very aromatic, and it carries the sharp scent of spring up here in Alaska.

Vic99
03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
I will attempt elm syrup next year. I am wealthy with elm on my half acre.

campus189
03-31-2014, 05:31 PM
http://wamc.org/post/maple-expert-discusses-new-book

This person has a book and talks about tapping different trees such as maple, birch and walnut if that helps any. :)