PDA

View Full Version : laws in maine

tanner pike
03-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Hey there I was wonderin if some of my fellow maine syrup producers could help me out. Are there permits or laws in the state for selling maple products? This year I'd like to sell a little syrup but also don't wanna get in trouble for selling it if I need a permit. thank you tanner.

KevinS
03-26-2014, 07:38 PM
15 seconds later via google search, here ya are:
http://www.mainemapleproducers.com/licensing-regulations-for-maple-syrup-processing.pdf
man I wish it were so easy in Il. :)

325abn
03-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Don't fear the syrup Nazi my friend! :)

SeanD
03-26-2014, 08:16 PM
I noticed Maine already switched over to the new grading standards. They don't even mention the old ones on there.

Sean

TheMapleMoose
03-26-2014, 09:01 PM
I noticed Maine already switched over to the new grading standards. They don't even mention the old ones on there.

Sean

We expect the state to adopt the new standard but to my knowledge it has not been accepted yet.

SeanD
03-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Yeah, same here in Mass, so I was surprised to see it in the licensing requirements already.

Sean

gmcooper
03-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Maine has approved the new grading law but it is not fully implemented. According to Ron Dyer head of Quality Assurance division in the dept. Agriculture, conservation and forestry producers can use either system for 2014. I expect we will be on the new system for 2015 perhaps with a 1 year option to use up old labels.
Getting a license is not hard just be sure to meet the rules and have a current water safety test done.

tanner pike
03-27-2014, 06:27 PM
thanks for all the help. this year I'm only making a few gallons an selling it when i can, when people ask me about it. Next year I'm building a legit sugar house an some newer equipment so I can pass the inspection haha.