PDA

View Full Version : Front pan lower than sap pan

das fisch
03-26-2014, 06:14 PM
I run a 2x5 evaporator, both Andy Wegner ss pans, a 2x4 continuous rear pan and a 2x1 front syrup pan. Now both pans sit at the same level on the arch rails, but I was thinking of modifying the evaporator so that the front pan sits about 4" lower than the back pan. This would get it down into the heat a bit more and also allow me to draw off directly into my front from the back. Right now I have to draw off into a ss drawoff bucket and pour into the front pan, which can be somewhat difficult with the steam hood in place.
Does anyone see any pros or cons with making this modification? I'm getting about 12-14 gph out of it now but am always trying to improve.

KevinS
03-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Does your boil need more heat on the front pan?

or is this really having more to do with the transfer issues?

das fisch
03-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Does your boil need more heat on the front pan?

or is this really having more to do with the transfer issues?

I do get a pretty good boil on the front pan, it is more transfer related in all reality. It can hold a boil and get to draw off temp with very little issue. I have the pans off on this cold snap to adjust the ramp angle, so was thinking out loud while the tools were out

wiam
03-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Most just have a connection and will flow into front pan. My pans are same height and have a pipe between them

PerryW
03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
agree with wiam. You could raise the grates up to get the fire closer to the pans.

Bucket Head
03-26-2014, 10:41 PM
My original homemade rig had the syrup pan lower than the flu pan and it worked fine. There are pictures of it on photobucket. The only downside to an arch with a "step" in it would be if you were to put another set of factory pans on it in the future. I think all factory made pans are made for a "straight" arch. It would require some "custom" plumbing, but it could be done.

Steve

KevinS
03-26-2014, 10:47 PM
I am far from an expert on evap design. so it would probably be better if I kept my mouth shut. but I am not so known for that. It just seems to me if you front pan was that much lower than the back pan there is going to be a pretty good portion of the front of the back pan that is going to be shy on heat.
Personally I would rather it could flow into the syrup pan steady until it is worth plugging for a batch. meaning it will float a hydrometer before plugging. I would pipe them together