PDA

View Full Version : Pulled taps

40to1
03-26-2014, 01:39 PM
The sugaring season in the Boston area is over for 2014.
What a strange year; Mother Nature can be... entertaining.

Taps went in on Feb. 18 and I pulled them on Sunday, 3/23: the latest I've ever had them in. I pulled taps because the forecast was for too cold - followed by too warm - temps.

Around here, the nighttime temps stop dropping below 32˚ (which ends the season) about March 15. Thanks to the lingering cold, the season got extended by a week, so although it exhausted me, I appreciate the extra sap it got me. Made up a bit for the 10+ days of frozen trees.

Although the sap yield is down, I did make some really good maple sugar...

WESTMAPLES
03-26-2014, 01:50 PM
why so early, there still plenty of season left, you can not count on what the weather tells you to be true always. everyone else is still moving along somewhat, the forecast for low temps at night in my area have been 4 degrees higher than my actual temps so ive been in the clear so far, I also use vacuum and cv spouts to add production to even the slightest runs. hey good luck next year, even though the 2014 season isn`t over in my opinion

Maplesedge
03-29-2014, 07:54 AM
When you pull your taps is up to you. If you're satisfied with what you mde, great.

The Boston area is a bit warmer than here, but I'll bet the holes are still dripping. If you have second thoughts, you could always stick the taps back in for one more boil. Just sayin'

WESTMAPLES
03-29-2014, 09:35 AM
bacteria has taken over those holes by now, just went out and checked my 2 vac stations both have 180 gals in them and running strong still. ill keep pulling till its over. a guy I met in ct last season, markct seems to be dragging in plenty still too good luck to all that stick with it till the buddy end!