PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Color and Thickness

Vic99
03-26-2014, 09:34 AM
New to sugaring this year and found an addictive new hobby.

After a couple of test fires and mistakes, I boiled down 6 gallons to get 20 ounces in an aluminum turkey-style pan. The syrup was dark, consistent and perfect.

Now that I know I will do this more, I spent a few more bucks to get a graniteware pan. This time I boiled 5 gallons from the same trees and got a MUCH lighter colored syrup with what seems to be sugar sand or niter at the bottom. Poured off a lot of the sand and boiled a bit further to get 14-16 ounces. The syrup is lighter in color and much less viscose. I feel like I could boil it down more, but don't want to be wrong and ruin it. It does taste good.

Only differences were the pan and one week time. Is this typical? Thanks.

WESTMAPLES
03-26-2014, 10:03 AM
the only part I can add, is that everytime ive tasted syrup made in a aluminum pot I had a slight metallic taste. plain none coated stainless steel is the way to go.

michiganphil
03-26-2014, 10:12 AM
As the season progresses, the color usually goes darker. But there are many factors that influence color. Some are how long you store your sap, how long it's cooked (i.e. slow simmer or rapid boil), metabolic changes in the tree, bacterial growth in the tap hole...

When cooking down such small batches, it's hard to say what factor influenced the color. 16 - 20 oz, even in a small pot, is not much and could be easily overcooked leading to dark color.
Keep experimenting...you might see a trend, and be able to pin point the cause.

One more thing. The sugar content of the sap can change too. Your second batch could have had lower sugar content. This would mean that your 5 gal of sap that you started with would not yield the same amount of syrup as the first batch.

happy thoughts
03-26-2014, 10:18 AM
The syrup is lighter in color and much less viscose. I feel like I could boil it down more, but don't want to be wrong and ruin it. It does taste good.

Only differences were the pan and one week time. Is this typical? Thanks.

It sounds like the density of the two batches is not the same. Boiled further, the thinner syrup will get darker as it concentrates. Unless you are sure the densities between batches is equal you really can't compare them. A hydrometer would be needed to measure density..

It's typical for variations in color and sand formation to exist between batches as the sap changes from beginning of the season to the end. Some factors are related to tree metabolism. Others occur because of microbial action on older taps and sap.

With the amount of syrup you are likely to produce this year, I wouldn't worry about ruining anything. Just keep it refrigerated. You'll probably use it up in a few months. Just one caveat, very thick syrup may form large sugar crystals in the bottom of the jars over time especially if kept cold. They would be edible but may be difficult to get out of the jar.

Welcome to the forum and have fun! :)

psparr
03-26-2014, 10:24 AM
You mentioned the viscosity. Your second batch might not be at syrup, or your first batch was over cooked.

The best advice I can give you is to read read read. And good luck.

Vic99
03-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Didn't check the densities.

What kind of inexpensive small pan for a fire pit can you recommend if graniteware is not the way to go? I got this one I believe for about 10 bucks: http://www.columbianhp.com/products/graniteware/pots-and-pans/casseroles.html

happy thoughts
03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Your graniteware should be fine for now. Its enamel surface is nonreactive and will not affect the taste of syrup. Cracks or chips in the enamel may cause an iron taste if the base metal is iron as is usual.If you don't mind the taste, it will add extra iron to your diet.

Any large stainless pan or pot will work. Full size 6" deep stainless hotel or steam pans work well assuming your fire pit is large enough. You may be able to find one in the $25-40 range if you shop. I bought mine used at a restaurant supply store for less than half the price of new a few years ago. I've also picked up some heavy duty stainless pots at yard sales for a few dollars.

BobMac
03-26-2014, 05:29 PM
if you want to try steam table pans try here http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/search/full+size+steam+pan
shipping is reasonable too.

CampHamp
03-26-2014, 05:35 PM
...and another inexpensive retailer:

http://www.tigerchef.com/winco-spf6-full-size-6-steam-pan.html

Vic99
03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
I like those pan options. Thanks.

Grand Square Acres
03-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Welcome Vic99: This is my 5th season on my own making syrup. I am 3rd generation mapler, so I've been around most of my life and I'm 52. This is the first time I have made mid-amber syrup that was very thin on viscose and I checked mine with 2 different hydrometers both showed 66.9, and it does have a very good taste. This as only happened to one run. But I also hit syrup at 215.7 degrees. coolest temp. that I have ever drawn syrup. This might have something to do with it. Can't say but that was the only thing that I could come up with.