PDA

View Full Version : Will this work out?

sportfreak15
03-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Working on a first attempt at making syrup and have come up with a design for a pan. Wanted some input before it leaves the screen and becomes an expense. The open side will continue to the top it is just left open so you can see into it. It will also have flanges bent into the top to hold it onto the cinder blocks. The Channel on the open end will have a valve attached to remove the sap. This will be 24x24x10. If it will be easier I can email the model so you can turn it. (file is to large to upload here) Any input would be appreciated.

psparr
03-26-2014, 09:43 AM
It will work and is much easier to make, however the evaporation rate wont be as good as a straight drop flue. You'll have a good bit of sap in the flues slowing evaporation. If its a choice between a flat pan and that design. Go for it.

Big_Eddy
03-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Great for evaporating sap. You will still want a flat pan for syrup. Too hard to control the last little bit before syrup in anything but a flat pan.

sportfreak15
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
I should have included a bottom view. Sap Will not get into the flues as they will be plugged off on either end and are actually the bottom. Or are you talking just because of the angle being so sharp? Thanks for the input. I would rather make the adjustments now then deal with them later...

PerryW
03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
I think it will work, although if you could make the angles even sharper, your would increase the surface area exposed to the fire. If you could make the troughs 7" deep it would essentially have the same surface area as a typical flue pan. Also, as mentioned, you will need a flat pan too for the syrup pan.

You might also consider making the pan 3 feet long and putting a divider so you have a 1 foot flat section (in front) and your 2 foot flue pan (in the back) The divider would isolate the syrup compartment from the 2x2 flue pan.

Personally, unless you are only tapping 30 taps or less, I would start with a 2x4 pan footprint and use the front third as a flat pan and the back 2/3's as a flue pan (sap pan)