PDA

View Full Version : galloping draft???

Bentley Wood Maple
03-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Firing the arch yesterday I could hear the draft picking up and dropping. Puzzled, it took me about an hr to notice the stack damper opening and closing on its own. Unsure why this was going on I clamped a pr of vise grips onto the damper to stop the flutter. Slowed it down but could still see movement on the damper.
Anyone else ever experience this mystery??
Weird....

jmayerl
03-26-2014, 12:32 AM
I am more puzzled why you have a stack damper? Barometric dampers are sometimes on oil rigs but are proven ineffective and can be dangerous on wood rigs. Draft is normally controlled by induction of air through a bottom draft door or air injection.

Evets
03-26-2014, 06:19 AM
I think it's a safety feature for wood stoves. It prevents the oven from over firing. Some have an adjustable counter weight for finer control.

Bentley Wood Maple
03-26-2014, 07:06 AM
I am more puzzled why you have a stack damper? Barometric dampers are sometimes on oil rigs but are proven ineffective and can be dangerous on wood rigs. Draft is normally controlled by induction of air through a bottom draft door or air injection. usually run with damper wide open but when drawing off I sometimes shut the draft down. This puts more heat on the front pan. You can watch the boil slow in the back pan and increase in the front pan.

Sugarmaker
03-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Most folks run these evaporators with not damper for max draft. Glad you found the problem and have attempted to correct it.
Regards,
Chris