PDA

View Full Version : Currently using sap puller and looking for suggestions/ideas for vacuum

VT_K9
03-25-2014, 09:07 PM
I have attached a map below with some data about our sugar orchard and operation. The total tap count is approximately 300 taps...I'll up date that and one other idea in the next couple of days.

Currently we are running a sap puller at the sap shack for all our taps. I am pretty happy for the vacuum level now, but when there is a broken tap or leak it shows quickly and the walk is on. I most junctions are "y's" and for next year will have a valve installed with a vacuum gauge. I did not do that this year to minimize any possible leaks. I believe a true vacuum systems will not be as effected by leaks unlike the sap puller (I'll still look for and fix them). I also would like to expand to the green lined area with a total addition of 100-150 taps. The pink line depicts an extension of the pump line to the new sap shack.

I am looking for input recommendations on vacuum style and size. The actual vacuum pump will be either at the sugar house (if we install power) or at my house (probably an additional 200' run). I am planning on 1 1/2" black plastic for the vacuum supply to a mechanical releaser. I am also interested in running a second releaser beyond the waypoint identified as END 1 IN. There are quite a few maples south of that location, but END 1 IN is the high point for my current system. I will draw up a map idea for that area.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Mike

Map:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/VT_K9/b8082120ec2c9ecaf5ace99591f1f02d_zps0f13393a.jpg

GeneralStark
03-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Nice map! The first thing I would suggest if you are shooting for state of the art high vac. is to add a 1" or 1.25" dry line over your 1" wet line. If you will ever have more than 400-500 taps on this 1" mainline, you may want to consider going bigger. Then, use "whips" to connect these to your 3/4" lateral mainlines. Make sure your 3/4" lateral mainlines are no longer than 500'. If they are, use some 1" and then reduce down to 3/4" or go all 1". Be sure there are no taps connected directly to your wet/dry conductors. If this system was originally set up for gravity, I suspect you have some long 5/16" lateral runs with many taps on them. Use the strive for 5 rule and rework the laterals to have no more than 5 taps per lateral and keep them shorter than 100' max. In my new system, I have very few laterals longer than 50' and there are only a few with more than 5 taps. This requires more mainline and therefore a larger pump, but it is worth it for vac. transfer to the taphole.

Track down a copy of Cornell's vac. tubing system workbook.

In terms of pump choice there are many options to go with. IMO, it is worth spending some money on a good pump that you can turn on at the beginning of the season and leave running for weeks without having to worry about it.