PDA

View Full Version : How hot to filter?

Jonnyp390
03-25-2014, 10:22 AM
So here is a quick rundown of what (I think) I Know based on what others on the site are doing.

1) Filtering through a cone filter works best when the syrup is HOT. Based on what I have read as best filtering practices, most people pour off their finished (219 deg) syrup directly into their filtering setup.

2) Any heating of syrup above 190 deg will produce more niter.

So here is the question: If the syrup goes through the filter at 219, isn't the syrup sitting in the bottom of the canner above the 190 thresh-hold, thus creating more niter while waiting to bottle? Or does the niter only develop while actively HEATING the syrup back past the 190 thresh-hold?

I ask because I am trying to figure out my beautifully clear syrup I bottle a few days ago is now developing little specks evenly suspended throughout the bottle. I filter into a coffee urn and I follow what others do. Preheat the urn, allow it to go into the warming cycle, unplug and pour out all the water, give it a quick swipe with a clean towel, place my filter on top, pour in syrup, bottle as many as I can until the syrup coming out dips below 180. The syrup still left in the urn then gets poured into a pan, heated to 185, then bottled individually. My urn has a small heating element in the bottom, so on this last batch I poured a little cold water on it to quench the hot spot before pouring in my finished syrup. I was hoping that hotspot was the culprit, but the syrup is now producing the little specks a couple of days later. Any advice?