PDA

View Full Version : Cream defamer?

5050racing
03-25-2014, 04:35 AM
Is I ok to use a 1/2 a drop at a time to deform? Hear it the old timers secret?

markct
03-25-2014, 04:41 AM
If you bought syrup and had severe dairy alergies thats a secret that could harm you! It is no longer a proper thing to do and reg defoamer is cheap and safe so why chance it

happy thoughts
03-25-2014, 09:05 AM
What markct said. Another old timer's secret was to hang a piece of salt pork over the pans. Again, no longer recommended. Besides commercial defoamer, any bland tasting vegetable oil like canola will work. Avoid peanut oil for the allergy issue.

Now I have a question. How were you going to divide a drop of cream:confused: :)

Biz
03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
I've used powdered creamer like Coffee Mate. Even though it's non-dairy, it works great, and doesn't spoil if left in the sugarhouse. But now that I know about de-foamer, I'm gonna pick some up on my next Bascom's run. I never needed it with my half-pint, but do with the new flue pans!

Dave

5050racing
03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks I knew but I haven't heard anybody talking about it lately so I through it out there!

maplestudent
03-25-2014, 02:51 PM
question: if a state passes GMO labeling laws, would that mean that someone in that state using canola oil as a defoamer make sure it is organic in order to avoid having to label the syrup as containing GMOs?

Clarkfield Farms
03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Well, reading the title I didn't realize it was a typo, I thought the Dairy Industry was suing someone over defamation of Cream. :)

Stick with the above advice.

As far as GMO regulations, that's a good question. I would imagine that it would have to be declared. But what about "incipients?" As in, BEE PARTS, etc.? I mean, what if a bee was laden with pesticides/herbicides from incidental contact, and it's in there along with the other contents of the jelly jar? An age-old saw: "The more laws governing the body, the more corrupt the body becomes." You end up violating a half dozen "rules" by obeying one.

happy thoughts
03-25-2014, 03:30 PM
question: if a state passes GMO labeling laws, would that mean that someone in that state using canola oil as a defoamer make sure it is organic in order to avoid having to label the syrup as containing GMOs?

Certified organic farmers have to comply with the standards of their certifying organization. GMO products would not be considered organic. The Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermonthas this to say:

Defoamers- Defoamers are considered processing aids in the production of organic maple syrup. Processing aids must be approved on the National List (see section 205.605). Processing aids must be produced without the use of genetically modified organisms, irradiation and sewage sludge. In products labeled as 100% organic, processing aids that are agricultural must be organically produced. The only acceptable defoamers for organic maple syrup production include vegetable glycerin (synthetic on the National List), certified organic oils or certified organic dairy products. Synthetic defoamers are not allowed.

Use of DE is also not allowed.

http://nofavt.org/assets/pdf/programs/MapleGuidelines2007.pdf

maplestudent
03-25-2014, 03:45 PM
though my question regarding GMOs wasn't intended to be in regard to certified organic syrup, the info is in fact relevant.

my question was regarding states passing GMO labeling laws. I may be wrong, but I believe Maine passed a GMO labeling law that requires any food product that contains ingredients with GMOs be also labeled as containing GMOs, Although that law won't come into affect unless other states do the same ("other states" may mean neighboring states). I believe NH recently failed to pass a similar law. I'll do a little more research on these laws later (don't have the time right now) and try to clarify what has passed.

But the fact remains that many states have or have recently had legislation pending regarding GMO labeling.

happy thoughts
03-25-2014, 04:05 PM
maplestudent- I guess the part of your ? about needing organic defoamers threw me off. :) A defoamer made without GMOs doesn't necessarily make it organic. For instance, those made synthetically or ones like Atmos that are made from animal fats. As for labeling, my guess would be since defoamers need to be listed on the label. GMO containing defoamers would probably also need to be noted. Let us know what you find out.

maplestudent
03-26-2014, 07:46 AM
happy thoughts.... I agree with what you write.

My original post was meant to speak specifically to the use of canola oil as a defoamer and how it may apply to producers in locales that require or may require, in the future, GMO labeling. It wasn't meant to encompass organic defoamers in general or defoamers that don't contain GMOs that are not organic. However those are certainly worthy topics and I plan to start a separate thread for a GMO discussion (I've already hijacked this one far from its original intent). I don't think it is an issue anywhere yet (though I'm not positive about that) but may be in the near future. what I have read in the past indicates that a large proportion of canola oil is made from genetically modified plants; there is no guarantee that it does not contain GMOs unless it is labeled organic or "does not contain GMOs" (assuming, of course, that any organic certifying agency does not allow GMOs.)

A few months ago I read that Maine had passed a GMO labeling law to join I believe Connecticut as the only two states at that time, though I believe both states required that other nearby states or regional states needed to do the same before their laws became active. The NH House killed a GMO labeling bill this year. If I remember correctly, I think there were about 30 states total that had some sort or another of proposed legislation for GMO labeling, including Vermont. Many foreign countries require it. I'm going to start a separate thread on this, but I want to get a few more facts together first and also figure out the best category within which to post it.

happy thoughts - thanks for the participation in this discussion as I think it could be an important topic for maple producers in the near future