PDA

View Full Version : Will this copper ball float valve work

Aaron S
03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
I've tried this copper ball that came with this valve and it works with my first test. However this was done on the floor with no heat. My question is has anyone used the copper ball, will it work with a boil ? Any suggestions would be great. A proper float box is not a option for me now (maybe next year) this pan and set up is all new. 939193929393939193929393.
Thanks
Aaron Spencer

harrison6jd
03-24-2014, 09:43 PM
i tried the copper ball in the past. i run my pan 2 inches or less when boiling and found that wasnt deep enough to give the ball enough vertical movement to open/close the valve properly. if you can run yours a little deeper than me, you might be all set. also, if that part of the pan boils, the ball will bounce around so the valve will open and close rapidly.

maple flats
03-25-2014, 04:44 AM
Is there any way you can make a sidecar for the ball, and make the bottom lower than the pans? Besides the needed depth, that will be hard to control with it in the boiling.

Jerome
03-25-2014, 05:28 AM
I use on similar, yours looks a bit more complicated in the workings mine is just the float valve from a watering trough I got at the CoOp, but it works fine.

SeanD
03-25-2014, 05:35 AM
I use on similar, yours looks a bit more complicated in the workings mine is just the float valve from a watering trough I got at the CoOp, but it works fine.

Does that float sit right in the pan? I've thought about something like that one. The liquid near the sap coming in stays pretty calm because the cold kills the boil, but once in a while I can get that area to rip. Have you ever had your float pushed up closed because of the boil?

Sean

Aaron S
03-25-2014, 06:40 AM
I was thinking if I replaced the copper ball with something with a flat bottom it might work better. The ball does sink pretty close to the bottom with 2" of water. I remember seeing someone used a flask, although I believe it was in a float box and not in the pan.