PDA

View Full Version : Syrup finishing question

acerrubrum
03-24-2014, 07:52 PM
I've always read that syrup is finished at 7.2 degrees F over the boiling temperature for that day. Today boiling here was 211 degrees. When I checked my syrup at 219 (thinking it should be done), with a syrup hydrometer it showed not even close. The hydrometer sat in the bottom of the cup. I had to keep boiling to 222 degrees until the syrup was at the 'hot test' line on my hydrometer- and just at the line, not past it. Why the difference of 11 degrees when I always here it should be around 7. I'm more curious than anything, syrup turned out great.

Also; I'm using a digital thermometer and it doesn't touch the pot when checking temp. I'm checking the boiling temp of water while boiling syrup so I think it should be correct.

jmayerl
03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
I too use a digital and they usually have a+\- if 2% mine will show boil at 210-211 and I usually have a draw at 219-220. Use the hydrometer to verify and then use whatever that number is as your draw temp. The number are just a relative guide.

TerryEspo
03-24-2014, 08:16 PM
I agree about a digital thermo, they get you close but not exact. I use my digital for sure when finishing, it lets me sit a bit as it boils down, when I hear the alarm, its game on !!

maplestudent
03-25-2014, 02:13 PM
I've noticed that I can get up to a 2 degree difference depending on where I check it in the pan. If I check where it is boiling the hardest, it is usually higher than other spots. I usually take it off the evaporator at about 216 or 217.....then finish inside on a propane range. On the range, I'll boil both some water and the near-syrup. When the water is boiling I put in my digital thermometer. Once the temp peaks, I shut off the burner and immediately check the temp. That is what I use as my baseline.

I do the same for the syrup, and I get much closer to what my hydrometer tells me has reached syrup density. With the burner on, I can get several different readings in the pan.....and I believe liquid depth can also affect the temp the thermometer reads because less liquid gets it closer to the heat source. Basically I try to eliminate fluctuations that seem to be caused by the thermometer's proximity to the heat source.

acerrubrum
03-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Sounds like I'm not alone with this. I have ended up with a system of sorts; use the thermometer to get close, and stop when the hydrometer says it syrup. Seems like others do the same thing.
Syrup turned out to be the best yet, amber and very easy to filter.