PDA

View Full Version : burnt pan why

rayi
03-24-2014, 06:01 PM
I have a 2 by 6 with a blower. I run it high because I'm new at this. I fired every 6 or 7 minutes using dry hardwood about the size of my wrist. I have a 5 inch burn area in the middle of the middle section of the syrup pan

whalems
03-24-2014, 06:09 PM
I would say you had niter build up. It builds up and will stick and burn on the bottom of your pans.

Sugarmaker
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Sugar sand might just be the answer, or there was a low sap level event? Are you changing sides? Also that is the spot that is the hottest. you have excelent fuel form the sounds of it. These rigs really boil sap well. I have seen syrup happen there. watch the bubbles they will tell you where the syrup is closest to ready sometimes it needs a little nudge to get moved over to the draw off.
Regards,
Chris

BlueberryHill
03-25-2014, 07:18 AM
What is the best way to remove the niter before it burns? I had a little bit of a scorch at the center and also another little scorch near the draw off. I don't run real shallow, and I was not sure what the problem was. Last year was no problem, but this year I added a bigger blower and insulation so it boils much harder. Mason 2x3 divided pan.

rayi
03-25-2014, 08:02 AM
This was a new pan to start I did boil about 4 hours so niter could be the culprit but the rest of the pan was real clean

Ausable
03-25-2014, 08:19 AM
:) :) :) ---All part of being a good Cook. The more You use Your pans - The more they will look used as that is why they were built. Check out the pans in a good Restaurant - They are not shiny and pretty - they are veterans and well used. Clean - but - well used. Shiny and pretty You will find in the home of a wealthy woman who has a show kitchen and can't boil water. We make Maple Syrup - a sticky - pan scorching business. lol ----Make lots of Maple and have fun.

Tappy Sap Master
03-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Saturday I drained the syrup pan into three separate buckets so i woudnt mix the gradient. I couldnt believe the amount of sugar sand and niter left behind,so i thoroughly cleaned it. I decided to do the same with the syrup float box. I boiled again on sunday and noticed a little lighter color drawn off, and the filtering went easier too.

NTBugtraq
03-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Rayi,

Did you brick it yourself? If so, did you cut the bricks at the top of the ramp of the arch? Just wondering if you might have brick corners too near the pan, creating a constriction of air flow and higher temps in the bricks as the draft tries to blow past them?? Just a thought. Just check to see that your bricks are at a consistent distance from the bottom of your pan (or drop flues) and that you haven't created any form of constriction of air flow. Where that constriction exists, you can imagine a temperature build up.

Cheers,
Russ

rayi
03-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I did not brick the ramp. I used blanket. No restrictions other than the flu pan drain covered by insulated blanket