PDA

View Full Version : Does the foam hinder or increase evaporation

Quabbin Hill Farms
03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Started to use some defoamer this year to be able to run a little deeper in my pans. With the defoamer I don't get that same furious white frothing bubbles I normally would see in my back pan. Does anyone know if the absence of those foamy bubbles increase evaporation rates? It just doesn't look like its boiling as hard.

Thanks

sugarman3
03-24-2014, 06:07 PM
The deformer is doing what it is meant to do,any time your back pan is foaming,it is trapping [slowing ] your evaporation rate by not allowing the steam to evaporate.Watch how much steam comes off you pan when it's foaming,then add a couple drops defoamer,see how much more steam you will see coming off.

maple flats
03-24-2014, 07:46 PM
defoamer truly increases your evaporation rate.

bees1st
03-25-2014, 04:11 AM
If you run your pans with a lower sap level I believe you will increase your evaporation rate .

Bruce L
03-27-2014, 12:00 PM
You will also notice when the defoamer hits your pan it sounds like a thunderstorm, definitely boiling harder and faster.

Ryan August
04-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Love this site, had a question and found the answer as some one asked it already. So lets add to this. Besides defoamer, what do people use for reforming?

happy thoughts
04-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Besides defoamer, what do people use for reforming?

Not sure I understand the question. Or are you asking where to find your local chapter of syrup addicts anonymous? :o :lol:

TerryEspo
04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
I feel dumb asking but will.....When do you use defoamer exactly? I batch boil so maybe I am missing something.

The only time I see foaming is when I am finishing inside my "almost syrup." Then it is syrup or darn near.

Am I confused and I DO have foam when boiling and don't know the terminology?

Help please ???

RileySugarbush
04-03-2014, 06:57 PM
You will know if you have foam! In the sap pan the foam forms sometimes and will completely cover the sap surface so you can't see the sap boiling. It will rise up over of the sap level and can spill out.

Similar in syrup pan if boiling real hard.

5050racing
04-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Your set up probably is not really getting to the point where it foams,I thought I was boiling good till I added the blower to it and WOW pans overflowing and foaming.now I need deformer.

TerryEspo
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM
LOL,,,maybe I do have foam, but, when I see some foam, I have that tool, square stainless handle strainer thingy, I sweep it out, and flick it on the ground.
Is that the foam we are speaking about?
I have never left it alone to see what happens if lots gathers.

I have/had a blower and do get a great boil going with my arches, thinking now that ya, I would have to shut down the blower due to the fear of overflowing the sides. Thought that was my shallow 5" pan fault.

I need to pay attention this year and really see what is going on.

Thanks guys !!

PerryW
04-03-2014, 10:31 PM
LOL,,,maybe I do have foam, but, when I see some foam, I have that tool, square stainless handle strainer thingy, I sweep it out, and flick it on the ground.
Is that the foam we are speaking about?
I have never left it alone to see what happens if lots gathers.

I have/had a blower and do get a great boil going with my arches, thinking now that ya, I would have to shut down the blower due to the fear of overflowing the sides. Thought that was my shallow 5" pan fault.

I need to pay attention this year and really see what is going on.

Thanks guys !!

No, what you scoop out is the scum that floats on the surface. When you evaporator is boiling hard it starts to foam up (this usually pushes the scum aside). it foams higher and higher until you are forced to put defoamer in. I have to use defoamer in the back pan usually, but when I get close to syrup, i need to add it to the front pan or it would boil over

back pan boiling

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/perryW/media/MapleSapBoil.mp4.html (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/perryW/media/MapleSapBoil.mp4.html)

front pan boiling

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/perryW/media/SyrupBoilSMall.mp4.html

Ryan August
04-04-2014, 05:18 AM
In regards to post #6. Not reformer, typo, should be defoamer. What are people using for defoamer other than defoamrer from the maple supply shop. I heard of some oils, just not sure exactly what.

happy thoughts
04-04-2014, 07:30 AM
What are people using for defoamer other than defoamrer from the maple supply shop. .

Any bland tasting edible oil or fat will work like canola, corn or safflower. Olive oil is too strong tasting. Solid shortening like crisco can also be used. Some people use butter or cream but are not recommended because of potential dairy allergies. For the same reason peanut oil should be avoided. All should be used sparingly. Only a few drops are needed.

Ryan August
04-04-2014, 07:06 PM
I believe! tried the defoamer idea, yeah, no foam, but I can see the boil and the steam really fills the shack. I boiled of 35+ gals in 2 hours which is pretty good tonight with the defoamer