PDA

View Full Version : Any bee keepers?

Burnt sap
03-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi Folks looking to raise bees for honey collection and help out my apple trees on the tree farm. Any local suppliers in or near Plattsburgh NY? This will bee a complete start up pun intended;) Vermont dealers welcome too.

SSFLLC
03-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Better bee is over that way just google it

psparr
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Good luck. It's a lot of work, and a lot of fun!!!

stoweski
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Betterbee is in Greenwich. A short 2 hr drive for you on the northway. I frequent them often.

Get your list together and place your order. Tell them when you're going to show up and they will have it waiting for you.

As for bees give Mike Palmer a call. He's in your neighborhood on both sides of your big pond... Though he lives on the VT side. I know he sells out early though but he may have suggestions for other bees.

Noah's Ark
03-24-2014, 01:13 PM
I second Micheal Palmer, he has great northern stock and is an amazing beekeeper. Look up his videos on Youtube. He a has a coupld presentation at the national honey show that are very good. Good luck, however you may have a hard time getting bees this late in the year. I would recomend getting a package if you can still find one and requeen with a queen from Michael.

Beesource.com is a great resourse like maple trader but for bees.

stoweski
03-24-2014, 02:43 PM
If you can't get them from Mike, try singing cedars in Orwell. I've had good luck with his bees as well. Their nuc prices have gone up but what hasn't?

Mike may be out of queens as well being this late in the season.

Burnt sap
03-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Thank you all for your input will let you know how we make out.

Sugarmaker
03-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Good luck with the bees. I still think making maple is way more work than keeping bees and harvesting honey.
Regards,
Chris