PDA

View Full Version : long maple season without "sap''

grimmreaper
03-24-2014, 09:11 AM
this winter has dragged on long enough!im ready for spring.....i'v put on more taps to get what ever sap I can get even any at all...I have to keep things from freezing (full time job)and made only 10 gal of syrup....850 taps/10gallons of syrup...is any one else in my boat??:

markct
03-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Started slow here but at about 160 gal of syrup off 1100 taps and looks like we get atleast a couple more weeks here. Had to dump 800 gal sap that spoiled when i was sick for a couple days but it happens.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM
I believe the season has been slow for everyone around here so far. Get rested up. "ITS COMING"
Neil

lafite
03-24-2014, 09:50 AM
"It's coming" in southern CT, that means full-on Spring. I finished the season with less than half of last years total. time to clean up and move on to coaching baseball!

TrentonMaple
03-24-2014, 11:55 AM
I see you're from Rome - I'm nearby. I have 100 taps on buckets and it's just awful. I might get a tablespoon of sap from my best trees late in the afternoon before they lock up again for the night.

Grand Square Acres
03-24-2014, 12:29 PM
You guys up in NY and Conn. are not alone this season. Here in Ohio almost every one I have talked to are below average. It's been a bad year. We have maybe 7 days before it is over. Hope we can get a few good runs before then. This weeks weather looks promising. Good luck on the rest of your season.

mapleguy
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Grimmreaper you are not alone. Usually with my 1000 taps I make between 150 and 200 gal. and usually process between 10 & 12 thousand gal. of sap. This year I have processed 4200 gal. and only have 64gal. to show for it. With the forecast calling for a warm up this wknd. into nxt. week I think one more run and it's over. Spring is coming!! time to get the MC out and go riding!

grimmreaper
03-24-2014, 01:39 PM
well good luck to all!!!!!!!!the best I could hope for is at least half crop!

Windy Acres
03-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Sure hope we get more that one more run here in central new York, good luck everyone!

smtwn94
03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm up between Syracuse and Rochester and have done about 10 gallons of syrup off 150 taps. Not real enthused about the seven day forecast but we will see what happens.

lyford
03-24-2014, 07:17 PM
So far I've made 6 gals off 51 taps on buckets, all reds but 3. I have boiled tree times in the past two weeks, made 4 of those gals this weekend. I agree the forecast for my area in far western ny doesn't look great I sure hope we're not done after this next run. Good luck everybody

DASH
03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Well, It's nice to hear that I am not the only one having a poor year. Ground is still frozen, cold weather, and very little sunshine does not help. Got us a new 2x6 evaporator this year and not much sap to boil off. Oh well, we are thankful for every drop we get. Maybe this weekend we will get a GREAT RUN and finish the year strong! And if not....there's allways next year. That's syrupin!

KevinS
03-24-2014, 09:30 PM
I have gotten 14 gal made off 80 taps. I collected 85 gal of sap today and it was cold enough I only expected 40. I did not even fire up. I am just going to wait until tomorrow. it is in the 20's so I am not worried about it turning. tomorrow will be cold also. then we will have a return of good temps. for a few days. So I am hopeful that I can get at least one more good run before it is over. Tomorrow before I cook I am lopping the tops off of some saplings and see what I get when it runs again. I will post a couple pics of the saplings. those poor things have been devastated by the deer in the last few years so there is no real chance of good trees ( log wise) left for them. so I am going to suck sap from them next year. but I am going to do some gravity feed into barrels from a couple this year

PACMAN
03-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Im in franklin county NY in the Adirondack Park.Last year I had my first sap run on the 28th of March.Nothing has run in my bush only a drip now and then.So I think my season is right on time being as my bush is at 2200 ft elivation,and being a north facing slope,the spring likes to drag on up here.I hope everyone has a long season.

maple flats
03-25-2014, 04:52 AM
I"ve only finished 16 gal so far, maybe 8 more in the finisher and sweet pans. I also have over 1000 gal of ice in my various tanks, some planned, some not. The planned ones were from Sunday, as I was boiling, I looked at the long range forecast starting late this week, temps of high 40's and low 50's. I then pumped about 100 gal each into 2 sap tanks to freeze , I figured they'd help keep the new sap cold longer (built in refrigeration).

Germanmaples
03-25-2014, 05:22 AM
In down below Cortland NY. I feel your pain I have 1000 taps and just got over 13 gallons. Last year I made 100 gallons, 40 fancy and 60 medium. This tear I cant get under dark and the sap is testing 1.25 percent. Looking ahead and I see nights coming up to be warm yikes. Good luck

frjeff
03-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Not a drop yet here in Northern MI. Last year my run began on March 8. Not too optimistic for this second year of my backyard'n.

sugarman3
03-25-2014, 05:36 AM
got 2200 out ,large blocks of ice in all tanks,39 gals made-9 LT-10MD-20 DK/MILD FLAVOR,FIGURED THE SAME AS YOU.BUILT IN REFRIG CAUSE IT'S GOT TO WARM UP,SUN IS GETTING STRONGER EVER DAY,FEEL LIKE OUR WINDOW TO MAKE SYRUP IS SHRNKING EACH DAY

Clarkfield Farms
03-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Ouch... Well, taking on Ma Nature as a business partner always ends up this way. We get whatever she let's us have, as long as we're doing all we can to position ourselves to get it. Can't boil sap that's not running, true, but also can't boil sap you don't collect. You're doing your part, that's what counts and that's all that you can do. Good luck to all.

- Tim (fka the YeastPimp)

gettyfamilymaple
03-25-2014, 08:32 AM
I have got about 250 gallon of sap so far this year. I have only made 3 gallons of syrup good color and flavor
most of my sap is frozen solid.
ATTACH=CONFIG]9406[/ATTACH]

MikeVT
03-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Northern Vermont, I have 300 taps only collected about 175 gallons of sap so far this year. But I know people with bigger sugarbushes in more northern VT that have not got a drop of sap yet. good news is this is a hobby for me, I truly feel for the people that rely on this. Looking like temps in the 40s this weekend and through next week. I think spring may finally arrive here.