PDA

View Full Version : I wish every tree flowed this good

Swagner
03-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Afternoon fellow maplers. I checked all my buckets this morning not expecting anything to be running today at all. Yesterday was in the 50's so things ran rather well. Today is only in the mid 30's and cloudy with a cool breeze. I started checking my buckets to find that my one dream tree has a five gallon pail overflowing. If only we could have all our trees flow over 5 gallons in a 24 hour period life would be so easy.... hope everyone is finally beginning to get sap and starting to boil !!!!!

maple flats
03-23-2014, 06:49 PM
When I had buckets I had 1 very large tree (about 4' diameter) that I put 3 buckets on. 2 of the buckets usually had just over 1/2 full each day, the 3rd was overflowing. I even tested it to make sure I wasn't somehow getting water rather than sap. It proved to be sap. I wish that tree was closer and it a larger bush. I dropped that sight because it only contained 35 taps and the drive time was too far after I got much larger bushes, to go collect the little 35 tap bush, even though 1 tap in the 35 tap bush was super.

jmayerl
03-23-2014, 07:02 PM
We just started getting sap here in norther wisconsin but I went out to put in the final 50 bags today and good ol mr reliable was overflowing with sapsicles frozen on the outside. Out of 500 bags the avg was about a pint in each except the overflower. He will over fill a bag every day of the season. Right on the edge of a marsh so must not be frost right there.

spud
03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
I have a tree in my woods that I named Ol Faithful because it runs all the time. I too wish I had a woods full of trees like this one.

Spud

handtapper
03-23-2014, 08:10 PM
I have a new tree that through all the cold has been really good when all others are silent. On the better days we have had its put out up to 10 gallons on 3 taps. It isn't my largest or sunniest spot tree. It splits into two leaders at 5 feet. It has a chain going through both leaders at waist height. Not a small chain either this thing must have been used on something heavy duty like ships or to tie elephants down. I want to see what it will do on a good run

tbear
03-24-2014, 08:35 AM
I have one tree that hasn't stopped running yet! It doesn't seem to matter what the temp or weather is doing, it just keeps running. I think I might have hit an artery! Ted

Bruce L
03-27-2014, 12:06 PM
We have a tree right beside the sugarhouse which is termed " Uncle John's tree" It will outrun every tree in the 3 bushes we tap easily. When Uncle John comes to visit, he checks that tree, quite often finds the bucket full or almost, grabs the gathering pail only to find out the other trees maybe 1/3 bucket or so. This is also the tree that is left for my emergency should I need another 5 gallons of sap to help cool things down along with the pail of sap sitting beside the evaporator