PDA

View Full Version : Lost?? help!!

Wells maple
03-23-2014, 07:29 AM
I boiled my second good run and drew and filtered it into a pot to finish. Didn't even get to a boil and small globs started floating through out the pot almost looks like it curdled?? Is this nitre? Worth mentioning we welded a spicket to the pot, could it be a reaction to that??? Just not sure if I should finish and use or discard it.

adk1
03-23-2014, 07:33 AM
If u filtered it shouldn't be mitre really. Are u sure it wasn't just bubbles coming up? What did you filter with?

happy thoughts
03-23-2014, 07:35 AM
It's niter.

happy thoughts
03-23-2014, 07:39 AM
How high a temp did you bring the filtered syrup up to? At around 200*F new niter will form and you'll need to refilter.

Wells maple
03-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Filtered with a maple filter. My first batch didn't do this, but that was cooked on the stove in the house apposed to propane into the garage, so it heated a lot quicker. It looks crazy weird like I said curdled milk! Hahaha, just don't want to poison the family with some crazy bacteria or something! Lol.. Can you think of any reason my first run didn't do this but this one did?

Wells maple
03-23-2014, 07:54 AM
It was not heating fast at all. Need to try the neighbors turkey fryer burner today for a faster heat source??

happy thoughts
03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
It was not heating fast at all. Need to try the neighbors turkey fryer burner today for a faster heat source??

Fast has nothing to do with it. At around 200*F new niter will form in filtered syrup. Amount of niter in syrup will vary with time of year and year to year. It's nothing you've done or can correct.

Wells maple
03-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Thanks Happy thoughts. The Temp was pretty low, didn't have a thermometer in it yet because I had at least two gallons to boil down still. That being said if I had to guess I don't think I was up to 200° yet??? Tough to say?? I'll refilter today and have at it again. Thanks for the replies.