PDA

View Full Version : vac pump on a thermastat

Stonewall Sap
03-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Anyone have any experience running a pump with a t-stat. I recently installed one to turn on at 32 and off at 25. thoughts?

lmathews
03-22-2014, 06:19 PM
I run a t-stat.I run mine at 34 on, 30 off.I believe you are running it at to low a temp and will have releaser freeze up problems trying to start it that cold.That has been my experience.Just today alone my releaser was freezing up and would not seal properly.Also it would most likely freeze in the chamber at that low a temp and not dump.My 2 pennies.

maple2
03-22-2014, 06:43 PM
i have 5 releasors set to come on at 34*[ 3 pumps] 3 of them were froze up and stuck open this morning because they were in the shade. going to have to up the temp. a little

BreezyHill
03-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Turn on at 28 is my findings. My black lines will start to thaw at 28 on a sunny day and flowing good at 31. The blues are slower but this way the mains by the sugar house are clear and able to melt the slush to eliminate ice blocks.

Off at 25 is safe this way the mains should be cleared of most sap. Mine freeze up early as I have a brook by the sugar house and the bush will still be running so I set the off at 25 as I have put up two dry lines to try and keep things cleared out. You will like the savings on the power bill!

Good Luck!

Oh, be sure to use a relay...friend had a controller issue as the contacts were not heavy duty enough for his moors draw.

BreezyHill
03-23-2014, 08:05 AM
I run an electric releaser so I don't have the issues with slush blocking the releaser the others are having. My system will pump it out as a slushie. If it is to thick to drop to the pump it will sit and warm up as the sugar house is usually warm enough. If to chilly we run the salamander. in the direction of the releaser.

So temp will depend on your equipment and situation. Wrap a heat tape on the releaser could help with your cold am starts.