PDA

View Full Version : What a Difference a Pan Makes

Evets
03-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Yesterday morning I picked up my new 2x4 pan from a local metal fab guy. Took it home, cleaned it real good, set it on the arch and boiled off 50 gallons of sap in about 4 hours. I know it's not really a professional pan. I designed it myself as a 2nd year backyard mapler, but it was a real pleasure to boil on, and what a difference in the finished syrup! 3 quarts and a half pint of beautiful liquid gold as opposed to the dark grade B I've been making with restaurant pans set down in the fire, scorching the sides the whole time. It was also the first time I used a continuous feed system.

Ausable
03-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Looks good to me. The Maple Syrup speaks for itself. If You are happy with Your rig - that is all that counts. Mine is homemade too - built by my Son and Grandson and that makes it extra special to me. I would not trade it for a shiny - factory built rig. If I was Commercial - I would get a shiny monster - but - I would keep my little custom made. :)

sapdog
03-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Nicely done! I've been playing with this idea myself, of having a local fabricator weld up a new pan for our backyard arch. Can't wait to stop scooping from pan to pan.
looks like you've got a good setup for years to come. nice-looking syrup, too!