PDA

View Full Version : First Boil for 2014

Birddog
03-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Ok i didn't get enough sap to fire up the evaporator so I got out the camp stove. I've been out of syrup for two months and I'm having pancakes in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDdave
03-23-2014, 07:02 PM
How'd the first boil go? Get enough syrup for your pancakes? I got to do my first boil this year as well. Feels great.

SDdave

Birddog
03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
I only got enough to boil on the camp stove but made over a pint which worked out great for breakfast Sat and Sunday. It came out medium color and tasted great. My son came home from college for the weekend so we made a big breakfast. I went out and tapped a few more trees so I'm up to about 80 taps now. It looks like a big warm up is coming later this week so hopefully things get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gissert
03-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Boiled down 75 gallons on Friday, finished off to 1.5 gallons yesterday. Pretty low sugar , but some of the lightest stuff we've ever made.

Islander
04-06-2014, 09:39 AM
First year EVER. 9 taps on tubing to 2 Liter bottles I switch out before and after work and again before bed. Started boiling yesterday morning before breakfast on a propane double burner setup. This seemed to be getting me no where and fast. I think the trees were giving me more than I was boiling down. By noon my honey fashioned me a wood evaporator out of an old steel drum wood burner that by the looks of it, I'm sure I would have made him recycle a long time ago if I had known it was hiding behind the garage. Thanks Honey! Then we were in business. With the evaporator still in the works, I took all the hot filtered nearup from the propane setup inside on the stove and began the countdown to the red line. Filtered through 2 prefilters and the final filter into the coffee urn. By dinner time I had 10 8 oz bottles of the most incredible tasting and looking syrup I have ever had the pleasure to hold. SUCCESS!
9581 9582

maplerookie
04-06-2014, 11:39 AM
First year EVER. 9 taps on tubing to 2 Liter bottles I switch out before and after work and again before bed. Started boiling yesterday morning before breakfast on a propane double burner setup. This seemed to be getting me no where and fast. I think the trees were giving me more than I was boiling down. By noon my honey fashioned me a wood evaporator out of an old steel drum wood burner that by the looks of it, I'm sure I would have made him recycle a long time ago if I had known it was hiding behind the garage. Thanks Honey! Then we were in business. With the evaporator still in the works, I took all the hot filtered nearup from the propane setup inside on the stove and began the countdown to the red line. Filtered through 2 prefilters and the final filter into the coffee urn. By dinner time I had 10 8 oz bottles of the most incredible tasting and looking syrup I have ever had the pleasure to hold. SUCCESS!
9581 9582 Congrats. that is some really light lookin syrup. Mine is so much darker. jealous. Keep it up. Happy sugaring.. It is nice that your Honey had the necessary "junk" behind the garage.