PDA

View Full Version : Will it work and what is it worth

Yellzee
03-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Found this on line... Will some day hopefully pull 500 taps 1000 feet on level terrain.93179318

Yellzee
03-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Anyone able to help?

Wanabe1972
03-22-2014, 06:56 AM
I cant tell which model it is but I ran a surge 30+ for several years and it worked well. The only reason why I quit using it was I didn't own it and it sounded rough above 16 inches of vacuum. These are pretty easy to work on and I would suggest pulling the pump apart before using as it looks like its been sitting for a while. It looks like it has a reclaimer on it so you should be able to run a flood system on it. I built a reclaimer for my deleval and got it to pull and maintain 22 to 26 inches. As for 500 taps I would say no problem as my deleval is rated at 13 cfm and ive been told it can handle up to 1000. The value I don't know ive seen units from 2 bills all the way to 1000 will a complete unit with reclaimer. Breezyhill is up on these dairy pumps and he could chime in on this unit.

Yellzee
03-22-2014, 01:21 PM
It's apparently a surge alamo 40. Has reclaim yes with oil gauge. Aside from needing a good cleaning it looks in good shape.9349

BreezyHill
03-23-2014, 07:14 AM
I would say Alamo 40 without a closer look not 100% sure; but value is as little as you have to spend and up to $250-300. more if you really want it.
In the last pic the reclaimer is directly above the pump.

The 1/2" tube with a elbow on the end is your water drain. Open it up if water comes out that is bad and she will need a hone job before using as the housing will be rusty. Rusty housings eat vanes and create a lot of heat. If rusty change the bearings. Ro reason to run a bearing that is going to fail part way thru the season.

The large tank on the inlet of the pump is a balance tank. Very useful if using a mechanical releaser.

So far this season I have experimented with oil blends a bunch. And had to pull apart a D 75 that spun a shaft. The blend of 15-40 at 1.5 cups in the unit and rest is TSC vac oil works great at lubing and cooling the pumps. The noise of the vanes slapping the housing at high vac and high rpm can be reduced by doubling the 15-40. The issue is, cold startup will get less oil into the unit as 15-40 is much thicker and slower to flow at low vac.

I just picked up an Alamo for $100 with a 3 hp motor that works that was revaned and used on one cow for a year. Turns freely and no water in the drain. I will still pop the case and check it out and one dripper is broken off so I have to check that bearing closely.

I would spend the 3-5 on yours if it was available and more if I had to have it. Where pumps are scarce they are worth more. You can get a hone for $30 and spend a few hours cleaning it up and have a pump that many will spend a grand on.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Ben

Yellzee
03-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks Ben. I will hit you up for more info after the season when I have time to look at it. I picked it up for 200 Canadian so I think after last week I am around the 150 American mark!:cry: I know nothing about them or how they work so it should be interesting. Really nice older farmer that stopped milking in 08. Also has a much bigger 3hp vacuum pump with releaser and all control panels etc as well but his son doesn't want to sell this. Would be way to big for me anyways but I'd love the releaser!

BreezyHill
03-23-2014, 08:29 AM

This is my releaser. They work very well...actually better than most normal releasers as they don't consume cfms when they cycle.

I will get you a pic of the unit working. I started a 4'H club for maple production and the kids will stand and watch the sap flow for hours. It is mesmerizing.