PDA

View Full Version : Wood Pellet Evaporator

pidget19
03-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking at moving up to a 2x8 in the next year or two and was wondering if anyone has experience with the CDL (or any other brand) line of wood pellet burning evaporators? I'd like to stay away from oil as much as possible. Since the heat in my house runs on wood pellets, I figure why not just use them in the shack too! It also means no more summers of chopping wood (so more time fishing!!) Really, any information on these would be good! Thanks!

Ittiz
03-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Pellet prices are sky high this year, probably won't be much better next year. I'd burn wood

maple flats
03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
According to what I've read, a pellet arch costs slightly under half of what an oil does for fuel. If you go to the Jan. Maple Conference at Vernon, NY next year, they have a pellet/chip arch. They use chips but I believe it is either/or on fuel.
Even though the fuel costs less, the initial arch cost for pellets is higher. But you could also get a chipper and chip up lots of free heat from your neighbors, and use that too. For that portion the fuel cost would be the chipper energy source and you time, storage facility cost, as well as the chipper depreciation.

SSFLLC
03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Check out Tucker Mountain on here. (Eric Johnson) has one of these rigs

tuckermtn
03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
in the evaporator forum, I have a pellet arch journal...some info on our journey.

Bulk pellet prices have not moved much this year - the company I had deliver the pellets honored their price from June (this was in Feb.) Hard to say about next year...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Eric,

How much sap can you boil on a ton of pellets?

Jerome
03-22-2014, 05:03 AM
You can also make your own pellets, I have been toying with getting one of these.
http://www.makeyourownpellets.com/pelletmillb.html
the reason I have not yet is I don't have 3 phase or a large enough tractor.