PDA

View Full Version : Blower question

DaveB
03-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I purchased an A&A 2x6 evaporator with forced draft as an option with the intent to add the blower next year based on some of the prices that I was seeing. I was reading some other posts and I'm wondering if a blower like this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-DF6-Duct-Fan-240/dp/B005KMTYFK/

It states 240CFM, but never having had a blower before, I'm not sure what kind of volume of air I really need. Any thoughts?

twitch
03-21-2014, 11:14 AM
i use a blower from a small bouncy house works great this one http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bounce+house+blower&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527192040&ref=pd_sl_k3qikmb9h_ee I t has a lot of volume and made to run a long time.

nymapleguy607
03-21-2014, 11:53 AM
If its an air tight arch with air under fire only I would go with a bigger squirell cage blower. Probably in the 400-500CFM range

mnguy
03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Dave,

I tried this blower on my arch. It lasted about 10 minutes. The fan blade on the one I bought was plastic and it got warm enough to melt the fan off the motor shaft. hard to tell id this one has the plastic fan.

I have since went with a squirell cage blower.

Mike

DaveB
03-21-2014, 12:48 PM
If its an air tight arch with air under fire only I would go with a bigger squirell cage blower. Probably in the 400-500CFM range

Yeah, it's an air tight arch with opening for a blower. I had them install a standard ash door so I would have enough air flow this year and I used ceramic blanket in the opening where the fan goes.

The CFM number was something that I was wondering about. I'm going to try some local options to see if I can get a used one but that gives me something to shoot for.

Dave,

I tried this blower on my arch. It lasted about 10 minutes. The fan blade on the one I bought was plastic and it got warm enough to melt the fan off the motor shaft. hard to tell id this one has the plastic fan.

I have since went with a squirell cage blower.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I was concerned about that and was going to use some flexible venting to keep it away from the opening but I suppose that the heat is going to travel either way.

Speaking of heat, if looks like most people mount theirs directly and I'm wondering if heat is an issue. What is the best practice to mount the fan?

mnguy
03-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I had the duct fan mounted on a 4ft pipe and the heat still got to it.

Mike

SapZilla
03-21-2014, 07:39 PM
I agree. 400cfm at least. Or bigger and make a way to damper it back if necessary.

Dick

wiam
03-21-2014, 08:16 PM
I purchased an A&A 2x6 evaporator with forced draft as an option with the intent to add the blower next year based on some of the prices that I was seeing. I was reading some other posts and I'm wondering if a blower like this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-DF6-Duct-Fan-240/dp/B005KMTYFK/

It states 240CFM, but never having had a blower before, I'm not sure what kind of volume of air I really need. Any thoughts?

I tried a fan like that on my 2x6. Those type fans do not provide enough air. I went with a squirrel cage off from a mobil home furnace. I run it full speed with the side that does not have the motor sticking out completely covered