PDA

View Full Version : Guzzler

PACMAN
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
I got my new Guzzler hooked up today.The trees were still really cold and I ran it for a little over an hour.All I got was a constant drip.Nothing was running before so I guess it worked a little.I shut the generator off,and waited 2 min and unhooked the banjo fiting and air sucked in so there was vacume.I dont have a gauge yet,I will have to get one as soon as I can figure how to hook it to the 1 inch main line.Going to try it again tomorrow.

adk1
03-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Awesome pacman, keep me posted.

Marc Duclos
03-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Go to an auto parts and get a cheap Vacuum gage. You can sacrifice one 2.50 saddle and plug. Mine is at the farthest point 800 feet away on more than the listed taps. I am in Deerfield NH and it is the little engine that could. Expect to change the diaphragm every other day. a liquid ring on 220volt cost X generators cost X Diaphragms cost priceless.

PACMAN
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Marc,why would you have to change the diafram every other day?

donniet22
03-20-2014, 04:36 PM
I hae been running my puller off and on for the last week or so and have not had to change the diaphragm as of yet. I have not ran it when it was frozen so maybe that is the key. I wait until the sap is dripping out of it then start it up. works for me, pulling about 17 inches so I am happy with it so far!!!

PACMAN
03-20-2014, 05:35 PM
I have also ben bringing it inside when its cold.I have heard they dont like ice.

Marc Duclos
03-20-2014, 05:54 PM
I think when I added a saddle or two while running the little feller that peace of mainline just has enough edge to start the leak.

lakeview maple
03-20-2014, 06:05 PM
I hooked up my guzzler today and it was awesome ,I got 17 inches of vacuum and it worked flawless. I had to pick up a new deep cycle for it ,but the price you pay for a remote pump.

adk1
03-20-2014, 07:20 PM
17" sounds like you have a pretty tight system. Nice job

Quabbin Hill Farms
03-20-2014, 07:48 PM
I have a guzzler puller as well was getting -18 today up to -22 when liquid in the pump but I had to be very diligent in checking my lines especially some old one to find leaks.

PACMAN
03-20-2014, 08:53 PM
I ran mine today for 2 hours with my 2000 watt honda generator.I have 550 taped and all I could get was a drip.The trees just arent ready.It was only 34 degress here today.When I shut the pump off,I waited 30 sec and unhooked the banjo fitting and air sucked back in the line.So it must create good vacum.

Marc Duclos
03-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I have been running my Guzzler every day. I have three Zones. All have shut offs. I have in total 575 last count. I am on my fifth year.
I am averaging 18" to 21" with all three zones open. Each zone is in excess of 600'. I have been getting 200 plus gallons of sap a day. If this syrup thing don't work out I could be a assembler of Guzzler pumps dew to the amount of diaphragm I have changed. Two so far.

www.duclosmasonry.com

CPlace
03-21-2014, 07:07 PM
I just bought one of these last weekend for next year (still have thinning/releasing to do). Ill be curious to see the increases in yield everyone gets compared to buckets or gravity lines.

VT_K9
03-22-2014, 10:17 PM
We added the sap puller from Goodrich part way through last year...due to the timing of adding it the taps were left setup for gravity. This year I rearranged the taps to the design of a vacuum system. Last year we pulled 20"+. When the sap runs (very slight so far) I have had vacuum reads of 25" at the pump and at the highest point (300' 1" main and 600' 3/4"). I made sure I eliminated all taps and tees which were old and reused (cut of old tubing). I also have some new mainline (1" and 3/4") and have done everything I could to eliminate as many fittings as possible so far (I will be adding several banjos after the season ends).

When the sap is not running I get 15" or so. If I find it at 10" or it drops when I shut off the puller I know there is a leak. So far I have found broken taps each time I have had the reduced vacuum. I have yet to find a leaky saddle. With the pullers or guzzlers leak elimination is key. Sure some vacuum is better than none, but what happens when you get a good natural vacuum? Look for the leaks, check every fitting and do it every day for a couple of days (once you get sap running).

I have no doubt there is a benefit to the unit. Good luck.

Mike