PDA

View Full Version : had a good run today and

sweetmoomoo
03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
had a real good run today, had 25 gals of sap in my big cooler on the back of my quad. on my way to empty the rest of my buckets the cooler slid off the rack and i lost it all.:( checked the last 7 taps and wound up with 5 gallons for the day. cant stop thinking about it .

TerryEspo
03-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Oh No,,,

I have had a 45 gallon barrel tip over and the lid not on tight, lost a lot too. Hard to explain the crappy feeling you get,,,just ggrr. The good news is, next run you will feel better and I can almost bet the cooler will have a ratchet strap on it, lol. My barrels have lids real tight for the ride back home now.

Hindsight is 20/20 they say.

Thanks for sharing.

psparr
03-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Thats how we learn. THE HARD WAY

harrison6jd
03-19-2014, 08:25 PM
if it makes you feel any better, i once put my 275 gallon tank in the woods to collect my tubing runs. went in a couple of days later after perfect weather and it was empty. as i looked closer, i didnt close the valve at the bottom. dumb dumb move! now i triple check all valves. chalk it up to learning.

lpakiz
03-19-2014, 09:00 PM
I park my pickup and trailer, with tote, on the town road and pump 285 feet from the sap shack to the road. On one trip last season, I noticed the tank did not seem to be getting full. I could see it from the shack. I noticed a shiny reflection under the trailer. I sprinted thru the swamp, 2 feet of soft snow and got to the trailer in time to save almost all of the foam. Yep, forgot to close the valve. I took a heavy marker and wrote on the side of the tank, " CLOSE VALVE"

sugarsand
03-20-2014, 06:05 AM
if it makes you feel any better, i once put my 275 gallon tank in the woods to collect my tubing runs. went in a couple of days later after perfect weather and it was empty. as i looked closer, i didnt close the valve at the bottom. dumb dumb move! now i triple check all valves. chalk it up to learning.

It would be bad losing sap this way, now imagine your a farmer just getting done milking and notice the milk running down the drain. Not admitting to anything, mind you, but has happened.:D

Sugarsand

Ittiz
03-20-2014, 06:44 AM
The worst that happened to me is when I had to go on a business trip. During my trip the temperature at home shot up into the 70ies. When I got home everything was overflowing, but it had all gone bad. It was depressing having to dump all that sap.

Big_Eddy
03-25-2014, 07:32 AM
had a real good run today, had 25 gals of sap in my big cooler on the back of my quad. on my way to empty the rest of my buckets the cooler slid off the rack and i lost it all.:( checked the last 7 taps and wound up with 5 gallons for the day. cant stop thinking about it .

Look on the bright side - you saved 4 hours boiling time and a half a cord of wood! Would have been much worse if you'd tripped while carrying the finished syrup pot into the house and spilled 2 qts.