PDA

View Full Version : 12v transfer pumps

DaveB
03-19-2014, 05:56 PM
I have a honda pump that I use to transfer sap and I'm trying to streamline the process of picking up sap my different tanks. I'm finding that having one gas pump and moving it around can be time consuming and I'm wondering about a more permanent setup on the back of my truck using a 12v pump connected to a hose reel. Are there any high-speed 12v transfer pumps that I should consider? I've seen some bilge pumps but I'm wondering about food grade options.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in on what they use to pump out tanks, that's fine too.

highway
03-19-2014, 06:35 PM

We use a gas driven bronze gear pump to pull sap from the pales or holding tanks. It is self priming and works great. They are very expensive but well worth the money and will last for years if well taken care of.

The pump is fastened to the tailgate of the Mule and stays there with a ratchet strap.

Ed

DaveB
04-03-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm bumping this up again to see if anyone else has any ideas/thoughts. The gas pump is currently my only pump and moving it and the hoses can become problematic and I'm trying to come up with ways to simplify things for next years as my season is winding down this week. I'm planning on getting a retractable hose reel for next season and what I'd like to do is be able to bring the hose to my tank, come back to my truck and turn a pump on. Even if a 12v option won't work, I'm wondering if I can use a power inverter and if there are any 600+gph 120v options that would use a low enough wattage.

Yellzee
04-03-2014, 12:01 PM
I have used a bilge pump on one remote tank for Years. Never thought much about wether or not it's food grade though

DaveB
04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I have used a bilge pump on one remote tank for Years. Never thought much about wether or not it's food grade though

I've considered just doing some research on the materials used on some of these pumps. Sometimes a pump is food grade but it's too expensive to obtain the certification. Kind of like "organic". They have the power that I'm looking for and can be run dry and are self priming.

dcast99
04-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Until this year I used a 120v utility pump to empty my collection tanks to my tranport trailer. It has a 1/2 hp motor that ran fine on my 2000/4000 inverter. It is rated for 1450 gph. Instead of hassling with the inverter and extension cords at my 2 tanks, I got a small 1" gas pump that only weighs about 20 lbs. It pummps 2200 gph. Pumped about 2000 gal of sap this season and have not had to refill the gas tank yet.

DaveB
08-01-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm bumping this up as one of the projects I'd like work on this fall is a 12v pump to transfer sap into the tank on the back of my truck. Since I can't find a commercial pump that is food grade and fast enough, I'm thinking about trying to build one. I'm thinking about using a 12v motor connected via a belt to a pump mechanism similar to what is currently on my gas powered pump. From what I can tell, there are several pumps out there that use the same mechanism - a shaft then connects the pump to the engine. I can't seem to find the pump mechanism so I'm hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction. Thanks!