PDA

View Full Version : mouse in barrow

amberleahsweets
03-19-2014, 04:47 PM
We had our big blue plasic barrow covered but some how over the year a mouse got in and died, we bleahced it but husbadn says he can still smiell it, I cant. Should we get new drum or is it ok to use?

campus189
03-19-2014, 04:57 PM
We had our big blue plasic barrow covered but some how over the year a mouse got in and died, we bleahced it but husbadn says he can still smiell it, I cant. Should we get new drum or is it ok to use?

Well, think of the piece of mind you will have with the new one.
Do you really want to risk it?
May be safe, but if you will be giving syrup to anyone, the mouse will always be in the back of your mind.
Would you want maple syrup from someone that had a mouse that died in their sap barrel ?
Plus you really cant scrub it well, correct ?
Not trying to be mean. just pointing out the obvious :)

Ausable
03-19-2014, 05:01 PM
All I can do - Is give my own opinion. I would replace it as I hate the smell of a dead mouse and it would bother me. In the future - keep all Your containers either covered or upside down and up on something as rodents are always about. Hey - I haven't had one of the little buggers die in one of my containers --Yet--. But I have an ongoing battle with mice and red squirrels and their nests in my sugar shack in the off season. I'm sure some of the other folks will chime in and maybe it will be ok to continue to use - I just have the same problem Your Mister has - The smell hangs around forever in my mind.

amberleahsweets
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Thank you we decided get new one, those mice. We did have it covered thought well but guess not well enough.

Shawn
03-19-2014, 05:59 PM
New one, replace it

maple flats
03-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Are you getting a new mouse or barrel?