PDA

View Full Version : Support IBC tank on blocks?

Snowy Pass Maple
03-19-2014, 02:36 PM
We need to get our IBC tank up a little bit for better feed pressure to our RO pump. Someone suggested concrete blocks - one course would probably give us the height we need. Would six blocks covered with 2x8 laid flat to help spread the load over the blocks do the job? Our totes just have metal framed base with plastic feet at 6 locations around the base.

Would you trust two blocks stacked on top of each other if more height was needed or would I need to interlock them or do anything more elaborate?

I've seen some real nice wood support frames on here but just don't have time to build that right now!

Super Sapper
03-19-2014, 05:13 PM
I just used a stack of pallets to put mine on.

huntingken111
03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I also stack 8 skids then ibc tank

jmp
03-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Pallets work. The issue with stacking concrete blocks is the instability. Ask me how I know :)

heus
03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Pallets used here, too.

Snowy Pass Maple
03-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Sounds like pallets is the way to go and could give us all the head we need. Temporarily, I have it sitting on a single course of 6 blocks and it seems pretty stable but I like the idea of stacking pallets better than blocks if we need more head.

I was also thinking it would be nice to tuck a floor jack under the back of the tank to tilt it a few degrees at the end - figured it should normally be mounted as flat as possible. Our IBC is tucked in a pretty tight spot where it's hard to tip it easily by hand.

Thanks,
Colin

maple flats
03-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Doesn't your RO draw the sap as long as it's primed? Mine pulls sap from about 20' away and the source is a couple of feet below the RO. I think It'd pull from 8-10' below too.

Snowy Pass Maple
03-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Doesn't your RO draw the sap as long as it's primed? Mine pulls sap from about 20' away and the source is a couple of feet below the RO. I think It'd pull from 8-10' below too.

I have a 5 micron pre-filter on the suction side which the Procon does not seem to like - could hear some cavitation with combination of six 90 degree turns, 3/8 ID tubing, filter, and some lift into the filter. I've replumbed with 1/2" PVC feeding into the filter and that coupled with raising the tank a foot seems to be doing the trick.

Had to move the filter to the suction side due to 125 psi rating; last year I didn't run over 120 psi when using diaphragm pumps.