PDA

View Full Version : L.R. pump troubles

eagle lake sugar
03-19-2014, 11:17 AM
I have a dekker 35cfm L.R. pump that seems to have a hard time initiating the vacuum this season. The pump is mounted on top of the oil tank, and relies on a check valve to not allow the oil to drain back after shut down. I thought maybe that was the issue, but the pump and feed line are holding the oil. If I monkey around with it upon startup, priming it etc., I can get it to start building vacuum, but I'm worried that I won't be at home sometimes and wifey won't know what to do! Once it picks it up, it builds to 27" no problem and it's only a year old. Personally, I think the pump should have been designed so the center of the oil intake on the pump head was at the fill level of the tank, so you'd have slight positive pressure all the time. Any ideas?

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Just curious, where did you purchase this pump?

eagle lake sugar
03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Just curious, where did you purchase this pump? I bought it from my dealer in southern Maine. It is from Champlain Dairy in Vt. Unfortunately, my dealer is a 5 hr. drive from here and it's almost "go time".

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
I have a dekker pump also. The unit is built by Indiana Vac. Mine is on a welded platform and the intake is level with the oil level in the tank. That being said, once it is primed, it should stay primed whether it is higher than the tank or not. Is it deadheaded when you start it or is your releaser hooked to it?

eagle lake sugar
03-19-2014, 03:08 PM
I have a dekker pump also. The unit is built by Indiana Vac. Mine is on a welded platform and the intake is level with the oil level in the tank. That being said, once it is primed, it should stay primed whether it is higher than the tank or not. Is it deadheaded when you start it or is your releaser hooked to it? It is connected to a check valve, then a moisture trap, then the releaser. It worked great all last season. I'm reluctant to pull it apart because as I said, it works fine once it finally picks up the vacuum. It has been cold when we used it, checking for tubing leaks. I took the feed line off the pump and there doesn't seem to be moisture in there either.

doocat
03-19-2014, 03:53 PM
I wonder if you put a valve prior to the releaser so you "deadhead" the pump at start if it will pull the oil and circulate faster. I know the liquid ring pumps we have will pull vacuum faster if I deadhead them

Craig

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-19-2014, 03:58 PM
I think it has something to do with how cold it is and the oil viscosity when you start the pump. What kind of oil are you running? I assume the pump is outside? I have never had that problem, but mine is in the sugarhouse which never gets below 40.

eagle lake sugar
03-19-2014, 04:55 PM
I use tractor supply vacuum pump oil. It doesn't seem to thicken much with the cold, but it probably wouldn't take much to affect the flow. I do have shut off valves on the lines leaving the releaser, I could try closing them and see if it picks it up quicker.

TheMapleMoose
03-20-2014, 07:11 PM
I have the same issue with my 8cfm airablo. It's in an unheated building and I've got a feeling it's still too cold for the oil to flow without some jimmying. Our. 30cfm has no problem pulling right off but it's in a heated room so I'm assuming that's the difference.

eagle lake sugar
03-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I have the same issue with my 8cfm airablo. It's in an unheated building and I've got a feeling it's still too cold for the oil to flow without some jimmying. Our. 30cfm has no problem pulling right off but it's in a heated room so I'm assuming that's the difference. I think you're right. Today it got up to around 35 and I had my wife turn it on for a while and it built vacuum no problem. No sap though ]: Are you guys opening for maple Sunday? We'll be around, but have very little syrup left over from last year to sell. I'd like to stop over sometime and see your operation.