PDA

View Full Version : Post when you see Budding trees

Tor Haxson
03-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Athens County Bud report..

-edit- failed to mention all my trees are on a north facing slope.

I do not tap silvers, but I noticed silvers budding in valley along the hocking River a few days ago.

I do tap reds and 2 of my reds are just starting to bud today.

One is a fast growing red that gets lots of sun, about midway between the ridge and the valley. I tap it even though it is small, I intend to kill it this year or the next so that the sugar maple that is being shaded by it can take over.

The other budding red is a woods grown red, but a dominant tree with a high crown.

I have reds on the ridge that are in a mixed wood and not dominant trees, they have not budded yet.

No Sugar Maples have budded yet.

I am ready to call it a season, if I have another boil in me, I might pull the reds off of my mostly sugar tubing lines to keep the buddy sap away from the good sap.

--
Tor

buckeye gold
03-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Up here in Ross county my reds are full on buds. My sugars are close but not budded. However; all my sap is cloudy and the last syrup was a slight off flavor.....I pulled taps today.

heus
03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Seasons just starting in northeastern Ohio.

Lazarus
03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Most yard silvers have huge buds here, size of golf balls. Woods still looking ok. I did a test saucepan boil last night and still seems fine. I think silvers can get pretty big buds and still be ok, though I will probably start pulling them after tonight. Might leave the woods a few days yet.

Sugars look great though I think my tap holes are closing. We've been tapped a long time. I'm not getting nearly the sap I should from some of them given the weather. Some not flowing at all anymore it seems.

Stupatterson
03-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Silver maples are showing some green in the swollen buds as of today. Pulling the plug to be safe. Will still gather the sap from the sugar maples tomorrow and call it a year. Posting from northern union county

TreeTapper2
03-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Last year I still collected when buds were swelling. Boil down smelled bad. But after filtering the woody flavor was gone. Customers loved it, I didnt think they would.

DASH
03-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Checked our trees yesterday, no sign of swelling yet. We are not far from frozen lake Erie and that may just keep things cold enough to delay budding a little longer. Won't delay it very long, spring will be here soon.