PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new firewood saw

BHMC
03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Ok guys… I'm looking for a new saw. I want something with good power and a pro model.
I don't want to be standing on the log pile all day. So in turn I want something that has
enough nut to get through the pile quickly without breaking my back! Husqvarna or Stihl.
Thanks!

Dave Y
03-18-2014, 08:49 PM
stihl 390 i have cut 150 cord with mine. no problems

motowbrowne
03-19-2014, 12:19 AM
The 390 is a nice saw, but it's not a pro model. You could go a lot of different ways, personally I'd prefer a Still from one generation back. A 361 or 440 would be my choice. I've heard there's a few dealers with 440s left on the shelf. This is your last chance at that legendary saw, though it's gonna cost you. Do you have a small saw also, if so a 70cc saw firewood saw would be ideal. If not, and you want an all-around saw, I'd choose the 361.

I own a 361, and love it. I bought it used out west. 25"bar, full wrap and big dogs. Barely used for $400. When I got it it was my only saw, but now I acquired a shindaiwa 488, which is worth the fifty dollars I paid for it many times over. Now that I've got two, I wouldn't mind if my 361 was a 440.

Let us know what you pick.

maple flats
03-19-2014, 04:55 AM
The first question is bar size, what length bar are you looking for?
Personally I like Husky, but there are 3 makes that are all good. It's almost a Ford-Chevy-Dodge type question. The biggest issue is the local dealer, and I don't suggest a big box store. Find a dealer near you that you like the way they do business. Then pick a pro saw from them because when it comes time for service, they will be there for you. The 3 good ones are Husky, Stihl and Dolmar, any are good with dealer support near by. Personally I don't use specifically Pro saws, but have 2 that are 1 step down. I have used a Husky 359 for about 10 years with a 20" bar. When I need a bigger saw, I use my Husky 365 with a 34" bar. If you are looking for a bigger than 20" saw and can find a 365 (discontinued about 3 yrs ago, replaced with a more eco friendly saw, 365 phased out [emissions])
However the 365 is not an all day saw unless you're built like Paul Bunyon. It is a heavier saw. The 359 is a top of the line homeowner saw rated for up to 24" I think. With mine, I have likely cut several hundred full cord and never had a problem (both for maple and I have a sawmill, also use it to buck logs for the mill. That is why I also have the 365/34" bar, to buck bigger logs, my mill cuts up to 48" logs.

silveradomaple
03-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Just my 2 cents worth...... I have a sthil 044. It's about 12 or 13 yrs old and still running strong. Have cut around 250 cords with it since i got it. Starts easy and has plenty of power to cut down the big ones. I had a Husgvarna for a short time, (only cut around 10 cords with it before the clutch gave out) So my opinion of them is they are way less than junk. ( junk is still valuable, Husky's are not)

Noah's Ark
03-19-2014, 06:34 AM
I agree with others that the dealer is more important than the brand. Both Stihl and Husky are good saws. You don't say but if you only have one saw, if so I would get something in the 55-65 cc range and run a 20" bar. Not sure what you are cutting but a 20" bar will cut just about any firewood you need and the saw size is not so large your knuckles are dragging by the end of the day. If you have more than one or want to get more than one I would also reccomend a 30-40cc range saw for limbing and small stuff. I have a Stihl MS210 with a 16" bar, not a pro saw, but it is small but I can cut 8-12" round fire wood all day long with that saw and never get tired. I have a Husk 455R wich again is not a pro but it has cut many many cord of wood and a stihl 066 with multiple bars. I mainly use the 066 on my Logosol saw mill, but will use it to buck up or drop a really big tree. I heat with all wood and have for many years so my saws see some pretty heavy use. The trick is having a few saws and using the right size for each job. Also it never fails that one will act up and you need a spare so you don't loose the day. Best advice I would give is keep your chains sharp and maintain your bars and power is lesss of an issue. A mid range saw that is not so heavy will help keep you from getting tired and making a mistake that could lead to really hurting yourself.

BHMC
03-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Hi Guys thankd for all the info...Motowbrowne....If you or anyone else know's where I can get a MS 440 "New" let me know. I have an option on a 361 in good shape used... but my only thought is I want something that is going to hammer through the log pile...I have not run a 361... so what say you???

huntingken111
03-19-2014, 07:08 AM
I have a Husqvarna 455 rancher with 20 inch bar and I use an aggressive chain. I love the saw have out cut comparable stihls. one thing I don't like is if I hit brush or smaller twigs it will through chain off bar no matter how tight I have chain. If I had to buy one I would but a stihl just because of chain throw. Other people I know complain of same problem

village idiot
03-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Get the 361. I have one and it's awesome. I think I'm always smiling when I run it. If someone were giving one away then I would certainly try the 440, but I'm afraid that after full day swinging it around it would start to get HEAVY. Maybe not as big a deal on log lengths. On my 361 I opened up the muffler and made some minor adjustments to the jetting. It's now 100% louder and about 30% stronger. The thing will tear through firewood like butter. I had a 390 for a while but gave it to a friend. It was heavy(er), and didn't cut nearly as fast as the 361.

WESTMAPLES
03-19-2014, 09:51 AM
personally I like dolmar chain saws power to weight ratio is unlike anyother. don`t hate and say they are junk if you never tried one, I have 2 -6400 (64cc) one plain stock with full wrap handle, the other is plain stock with a 85cc big bore kit ( and no the saw didn`t blow up baileys had a sale on the kit, and couldn`t pass it up), I also have a 9010 model that's 90cc ive had 2 of the saws for 6 1/2 years with 538 cords of firewood cut on the books, with zero problems, the 6400 with full wrap handle I bought this past summer with extra firewood money. if you have a dealer that sells dolmar equipment in your area go try one out, or stop by my place and take one for a run. don`t get me wrong stihl was my favorite till I ran a dolmar, husky have always been last on my list check out and compare the specs. good luck

eagle lake sugar
03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
I've had all three brands and they're all good. I agree with West maples about Dolmar, I have a blue one [Makita] DCS6421 and love it. You can have it shipped free from Baileys and they're quite a bit less than a comparable saw.

unc23win
03-19-2014, 11:26 AM
I bought 2 brand new Stihls last year a 461 which is a pro and 311 which is Farm and Ranch. Love them both. The 311 is the same CC as a 362 and has the compression release for easy start so I didn't really see the need for a 362 I think it was maybe $150 more. I do run rapid chisel chain on it and love it hang on cuz she is cutting fast plus it has great weight and seems to be good on gas as advertised. The 461 is very nice for bigger stuff and I use rapid chains for that as well. Chains make a HUGE difference I buy most of mine on ebay and get great deals also switched from Carlton to Stihl chains and have noticed an improvement. I also have a 039, 390, 028 like them all.

I know a few husky guys and they are happy with them as well. My uncle has two but he might be changing chains after using my 311 with the rapid he noticed a huge difference. A good knowledgeable local dealer is also a HUGE plus.

Loch Muller
03-19-2014, 01:34 PM
The 361 should do the job fine. The 461 would be better. I used to have a Husky XP model with a 92cc engine on it that I used on a chainsaw mill. When I switched the ripping chain/bar to a chisel chain and a 20" bar that thing would cut firewood like butter. It was heavy though. I sold the mill and the saw when I got my band sawmill. What ever you get make sure you have a good chain and its sharp. Sharp chains on smaller saws will out cut dull chains on large saws.

Spanielslovesappin
03-19-2014, 01:39 PM
I vote 361 with a 22" bar... thats my go to saw now. The 310 sits idle or is used by guests and the 180 is used for limbing.

newmod
03-19-2014, 04:56 PM
DOLMAR 6400 is the way to go!!!! At least I like it. Very high reving , fast cutting saw. Owned Stihl, Shindiawa etc. Dolmar is my choice!

Dill
03-20-2014, 01:46 PM
I mainly run 2 saws a husky 372 with a big bore and a Dolmar 5105. I've put maybe 2 tanks through the 372 this year, that Dolmar is fast and light. I replaced a Husky 55 rancher with the Dolmar. Night and day in fact I don't think its a fair comparison the only thing in common was the orange.

Bruce L
03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Go with husky, make sure you get an XP model, will cut through the log while some others are gnawing at the bark. We have a 262 xp, and the latest is a 576 XP autotune, as long as the chain is good and well sharpened it won't back down on any log.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-20-2014, 04:06 PM
I have a 357 xp-love it.
Neil

adk1
03-20-2014, 07:34 PM
I have a 357 xp-love it.
Neilu just made me shed a tear. I had a 357xp and loved it. Till last fall I grabbed the wrong gas tank and ran it using raw gas. Was in a hurry and wasn't thinking. Didn't take long before she was cooked

cbhansen
03-21-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm using 2 husky's, my old 262 which I inherited from my father-in-law, and a newer 460. The 262 has been great. Light in weight and seemingly indestructible. I don't think it was appropriately serviced for years prior to me getting it and it still fires up on a couple of pulls in the morning. The 460 is a heavier saw but it cuts fast and I've never had an issue. I chainsaw that fires up quickly is great, but the key to cutting is keeping the chain sharp.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2014, 09:43 AM
About any chainsaw is a good saw and will cut great as long as you know how to sharpen a chain. A small saw will outcut a bigger saw if the chain is sharpened a lot better. Good electric chainsaw sharpener is a good investment and will extend the life of your saw as it makes it work a lot less.

BHMC
03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Hi Guys Im back again...Well the 361 didn't work out...It was sold. I did however run into a Stihl MS 362...Standard (Non Mtroinc). What are you thoughts on that saw?
I keep hearing that the Husky 562 is good..However it seems like is still has some bugs to get worked out. Let me know...

BHMC

Ball Brook Maple
03-23-2014, 06:40 AM
I have four of the 562 saws now, I have two of last years model and two of this years. I have not any problems with any of them! I find the saw to have some of the best power to weight ratio on the market. I also have have two 362 and they are good saws, I just can't warm up to Stihl chainsaws....

ratshack
03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
I bought a stihl 290 farmboss 2 years ago, great saw so far, replacing my husky 55. I still like to use my old mccullochs once in a while!

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-24-2014, 07:15 PM
I would consider going with a used husky too. Or a new professional model husky. The ones you get from the box stores are plastic. I have 3 Huskies. 55 rancher, 372 XP, and 288XP. They are all made in Sweden. Look at the manufacture plate to see where it was made. Tough saws and simple to work on. My favorite is the 372. I've used Reds, and Stihl. The 372 is hands down the best all around saw for weight and power. You will not be disappointed.

BHMC
03-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Guys...Back again...I ran into a 365 SPECIAL. NEW IN BOX...whats your take on this saw. Just a re-hash...I do max 10 cord a year...
clean up and maintain my small farm. So as I have it down to these saws:

Husky 357 xp
Husky 365 Special
Jonsered 2171 / AKA 372xp
ALL NEW IN BOX ...NO JOKE!

They all seem to have solid history with not alot of baggage.

Let me know - BHMC

Clarkfield Farms
03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
I'll be the third poster to shout out for Dolmar. I got a 5105 with 20" bar and non-safety chain, a few other accessories and it was still QUITE reasonably priced. After using it since - August, maybe? - on a regular basis, I now don't think I'd care about the price one bit. It's a relief knowing that I've got it around. I almost look forward to cutting now. I'm sold on Dolmar from now on.

fishman
03-26-2014, 07:06 PM
I have a 64' Remington that's a cutting beast. It will make a real man out of anyone willing to use it all day.

Bruce L
03-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Go with the husky XP

butler
03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
I have husqvarnas as well...been running them for 20 years..there unbelievable...I also ran a stihl 039 and an 017...and I found the husqvarnas to be a much better saw.

Ridges Maple
03-28-2014, 11:18 AM
I've always been a Stihl man. I currently have four saws from little trail trimmer, I think its a 018, I have a 023? for mid stuff and two Farm Boss's for bigger stuff. BUTT, last year I picked up a Jonsered 2365 and it is by far my favorite saw. It just blows away the Farm Boss. I never had any experence with Jonsered but I would highly reccomend it.

Paul VT
03-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Another vote for Dolmar. I have worked on many saws. I don't seem to work on Dolmars very often. And the one I use has always been a very strong saw. Not a fan of the Huskys.

Burnt sap
03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
No idea on the Dolmar However and this is just my opinion since I have owned Stilh,Husky,craftsman,echo,and homelite. Bought two Jonsered saws last fall and this is what I have to say. All newer saws are about the same cheap light weight cast frame plastic junk! Now that said a nice older john deer or Stilh even an old echo yes echo will do the job. A clean sharp non safety chain will make your life and cutting wood easier. So you get what ya pay for. I'm not cheap but I have a hard time paying 500-700 dollars for a cheaply built plastic aluminum saw. So buy a good used old saw and save some money.

WESTMAPLES
03-29-2014, 03:58 PM
all 3 dolmar saws start with the same number of pulls as when they where new with basic maintance ( like mixing the gas right and blowing it out often)and that's about it, both small saws 64cc 2 pulls on choke and theyre running and the 90cc saw fires in 3 pulls on choke, stalls, and re-fires in the next pull without choke. I would hand over anyone of my dolmar saws ice cold or not , and not think twice if it was going to start or run right when it did. the logger I get 90-100 cords of firewood a year from swears by stihl chainsaws, he`s run both my dolmars and liked them, but he`s a stihl guy at heart. dolmar produces other manufactures equipment too, like Makita, wacker, and others brands that might surprise some!

stihlonlynow
03-29-2014, 05:33 PM
My bigger saws are a Stihl 460 and a husqvarna 562. The 562 is my goto saw. It rocks and is Lot lighterthan a 440.
It is ported and it will out cut a modded 044 . I the recent past I have owned Stihl 660's and a husky 395 and 576.
I am down to a husky 550, 562 and 460. If that tells you anything.