PDA

View Full Version : Newby!

superiorsyrup
03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi guys, My dad and I have been making maple syrup to give away and personal consumption with another family now for about 8 years. We typically make around 14 gallons of syrup. This year we are building a new ss arch thanks to this site I have found a ton of good info! I can not however find all the info I need for a new pan. Currently we use a flat pan 3x6. I would like to build a 2 pan set up for all the reasons you guys are aware of but these are my questions.

When do you allow syrup to flow from sap pan to syrup pan? I dont fully understand the concept

Is there a right or wrong way to how many baffles you have?

What temp is your sap coming into the pan at? what temp leaving?

Also we currently cook on a 250 gallon oil drum on its side our pan is 3x6 is there a reason to go 2x6 i see this is standard? Before we build this new arch should we be changing to 2x6 for a new pan or do we build it 3x6 and build the new pan to fit? I have read a lot on the site and understand that starting with the pan is easier first however we are backwards guys way up north here!

Thanks in advance

TerryEspo
03-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Hello Newby:

I think if you tell the great people here how many taps you usually do it would help them answer.
I make around as much syrup as you and think a 3x6 is huge for that amount.

I have learned from this site that a long and narrow arch is much more efficient for heat and wood consumption.

3 or 4 baffles is the normal from what I seen personally.

The others will have to answer your other questions.

Welcome to the club !!

And ....Oh Ya, we love pictures of all your maple syrup achievements.

Good luck.

psparr
03-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Simple answer to the sap flow question. Feed sap into the rear pan, I have 1 divider in my flat sap pan. And as you boil, a gradient will develop with a heavier density syrup at the end of your channels in the front pan. (3 dividers making 4 channels) And the lightest density (sap) at the feed area.

If you have two seperate pans (not connected) and your scooping from sap pan to syrup pan. Just keep scooping to keep the level of sap consistent. And add to the sap pan to do the same.

psparr
03-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Heres a video of mine. http://youtu.be/whRR8BlfocY

superiorsyrup
03-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Terry thanks it would also like to see some pics if possible. Currently we tap 100 trees

superiorsyrup
03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
So I am answering some of my own questions. Valves connecting sap and syrup pan are more emergency or optional use during boiling they are left open. Pour off when temp is near 218 and stop pour off when temp drops below this number. Still looking for info on how to design our pans and I am thinking 2x6 with a third syrup pan and the rest sap pan. Anything else pics of the pans would be great thanks

superiorsyrup
03-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Psparr I plan on connecting the two pans. So we pre heat sap drips into sap pan is one divider ok or more is better? Then into syrup pan wait for syrup and pour off. What then do you do after pour off to get amount of sap syrup back up in the pans?

psparr
03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Allow the sap to flow freely between the pans. I put one divider in mine because I feed cold sap. I didn't want the cold sap to kill the boil in the whole back pan.

As to the draw off, some people start to draw when your a little heavy, and stop when its a little light. With a 2x6 it wont be a big draw. Maybe a pint at a time if your lucky. I do a continuous draw. Once im at syrup in my last channel I crack open the valve and have a very light stream, closer to a drip of syrup coming off. I made a float box which keeps the sap level consistent. Will be a little harder just feeding sap through a valve but not impossible. Im posting from my phone, so I cant upload a picture of my pan as far as design. Just google continuous flow pan under images, and that should give you some good ideas.