PDA

View Full Version : Re-Tap?

frjeff
03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Only my second year with my tiny sugarbush.

Tapped on March 10. Nothing so far.

It appears we finally have about a four day stretch ahead of proper day/night temps that might get the sap flowing. If I do not see any run within this period, ought I re-tap?

Concerned that the time since my initial tap may have allowed the drilled holes to "seal" or is that not likely?

Thanks for your assistance to this still green syrup maker.

optionguru
03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
You should be all set. I wouldn't re-tap.

jmayerl
03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Don't retap! Your taps are god to go for 6-8 weeks depending on sanitation when putting in.

Sandersyrup
03-18-2014, 12:40 PM
I doubt they have re-sealed. That takes a good bit of warm weather and bacteria. I just checked a bucket in my yard and it is running about 150 drips per minute and it was drilled on Feb 1st. It is north facing and it has not run great until today. Some taps need perfect conditions, one day those conditions will be perfect and your buckets will be full, almost guaranteed if the location you tapped is good.

jrgagne99
03-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Don't re-tap or re-bore. One-wound per year is plenty. Re-boring generally only leads to loose taps that weep sap onto the bark and not in you buckets or lines. 8 days is not a long time, even for buckets!

ROCKRIVERMAPLES
03-18-2014, 10:51 PM
I agree not to retap.No concern till about 4 weeks after initial tap.Flow slows down after this and I still would not retap.For years just as an expierament in a hand full of large trees I would put one tap in that I normally would put in 2 taps.After about a month(plus or minus a week) from initial tap I would put fresh tap in adjacent to 1st tap.This 2nd tap ALWAYS flowed more than 1st tap.This is why when running buckets I believe in trying to get in on the "right" day.(not to early)I have 220 taps on about 180 trees.Hope this helps

Jebediah
03-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Not as scientific as Rockrivermaples, but I have about 20 which I tapped mid-Jan, and these seem to be flowing just as well as ~50 trees that were tapped about a month later. My thinking is that maybe the tap-hole-healing clock isn't really ticking when trees are frozen.

jrgagne99
03-19-2014, 07:44 AM
My thinking is that maybe the tap-hole-healing clock isn't really ticking when trees are frozen.

That's an interesting thought. Has there ever been any research on this Dr. Tim?

COMSTOCK MAPLES
03-19-2014, 07:49 AM
same here older taps running as good as fresher ones. just need better temps to calm everyones nerves!! lol

drewlamb
03-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Yep, you've probably heard enough by now, but one thing that could be added... Sandersyrup referred to warmer temps and bacterial growth... The difference between older and fresher taps tend to show up in much more pronounced fashion at the end of the season. I'll certainly defer to Dr. Tim but believe you're right on, Jebediah, that the microbes are far less active when the weather is cooler. But the process does start as soon as you tap, and I'm sure those early holes will dry up before your fresher ones, all else being equal. Here in N-cent VT at 1200', we've had nary a drop of natural sap flow (no vac) and this weather looks to hold until around 3/28. My buckets are still at the base of the tree and this year will be the latest I've ever tapped.