PDA

View Full Version : predictions please

efoyt
03-18-2014, 09:23 AM
This is my first full year. We have around 50taps. We boiled down 60 gallons last weekend...with over a week of collecting. We are tapping in monmouth me. Could the people with experience please predict where this season is going.

Revi
03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
I think we'll have about 3 weeks of insane sap flow before it gets too warm and then the season will be over. I count this last week as a part of the season, since we at least got some sap, so the season will be less than a month this year. Just a prediction.

abbott
03-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Last sap run will be later than April 15. Total syrup production when all is said and done - average. I don't see any heavy runs in the near future, but they will come!

Loch Muller
03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm not panicked yet. I was looking over my records from last year and even though the season was longer last year than this year is turning out to be, I made 86% of my syrup in the three weeks between March 23rd and April 15th. If I had three good weeks like that again this year I'd be pretty happy with it.

maple flats
03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
I predict that we will still have a good season if the extended forecast is somewhat close, but it will lean towards later dates than typical. In the past my greatest production has been the last 10 days of March and the first 4-5 days of April. This year that may move later by 3-4 days. As long as we keep having freeze thaw cycles without warm stretches of more than 2 days, the season will end strong.

spud
03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
I predict that if I don't have a good season my dog and I will be living in the sugar house. I also predict that I will be going to a Proctologist to have a high heal shoe removed from my behind. :o

All joking aside I do think there is still time to have a very good season. Big runs for 3-4 weeks can make up for lost time. I think sugaring will go until the last week of April in my area. That would be about a week longer then last year. Good luck to all.

Spud

TapME
03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
The season will be later than usual is my prediction....:). With that said, the season will be good. Just starting later than we are all use to.

Revi
03-27-2014, 07:02 AM
I predict that next week will be huge. The temps are perfect for sapmageddon 2014. We may end up making some syrup yet!

abbott
03-27-2014, 04:46 PM
I predict that next week will be huge. The temps are perfect for sapmageddon 2014. We may end up making some syrup yet!

I'm a bit hesitant to all-out agree with that prediction for two reasons: First, I wouldn't want to jinx it. Second, there's been a lot of cold and a lot of snow. I'd like to see just one really good run before I get all excited.

That being said, the predicted low temperatures are not nearly so cold as they have been. Hopefully the trees will warm enough to get going. As long as it isn't warm and cloudy for the next three weeks, this could still be a good season.

maple flats
03-28-2014, 05:06 AM
I predict the flood gates are about to open.

spud
03-28-2014, 09:04 AM
I hope your right Maple Flats. I don't mind the season starting late I just hope it ends late also. That's why I have been asking people whats the latest they have boiled in my area. I am just wondering if anyone has gone to May 1st or so.

Spud

Revi
03-28-2014, 09:34 AM
The guys up north of us here in Maine usually go from about the last week of March into the first week of May, which is good because they may just make some syrup. I don't think there are many who have made it to May in Central Maine. The operations that do are up over 1000 feet in elevation, and way up near the border.

DrTimPerkins
03-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Could the people with experience please predict where this season is going.

If you can give me a highly accurate weather forecast for the next three weeks, I will give you a slightly-moderately accurate forecast on the sugaring season.

abbott
03-28-2014, 12:23 PM
If you can give me a highly accurate weather forecast for the next three weeks, I will give you a slightly-moderately accurate forecast on the sugaring season.

That would take all of the fun out of it. The odds of picking a perfect NCAA bracket are on the order of one in a quintillion (depending on how you weight the odds of each game). People try to pick that all the time - your odds here can't be much worse!

abbott
03-29-2014, 07:25 PM
sugar content has been great the last two days with a decent amount of sap. the trees should let loose after the storm.

if the weather happens exactly as accuweather predicts for the next four weeks, it'll be a banner season!

Revi
03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
I looked at our records and the usual date for the last sap runs is around April 5th, so that means we have about two more good weeks if the weather pops back to normal. The average temp for the end of March around here is about 43 degrees, and in April it goes from that to the high 50's at the end of the month.