PDA

View Full Version : Grate Height from Bottom of Pan?

TerryEspo
03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
I hate to ask as I know the question has been asked, but cant find the post.

Did my test boil the other day and sure felt like a lot of wood I stuffed into the fire box. Maybe it felt like lots of wood only because it was to boil water, but maybe my fire is too low from the pan.

I am guessing my grate is maybe 20" to bottom of pan, will measure next time I think of it. My woodstove for heat has only maybe 14 " but that is a different system.

Do I need to raise my grate?
Is there a calculated height that others know works best?

Thanks.

psparr
03-17-2014, 01:42 PM
No hard and fast rule. The more wood the more heat and you wouldnt have to fire as often.

maple flats
03-17-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm only guessing, but I think my grates are about 20-22" below the pans. I fill the wood to within 6-8" at each fueling. It works very well.

NhShaun
02-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Bumping this thread... Does anyone else have a rough measurement of the space between grate and bottom of pan? Just to be in the ballpark of what some other evaporators are using. Also curious about how much room to leave under the grates for the ash to collect.. Getting the front to my block arch built this week and just found this thread.

Schiefe4
02-05-2015, 01:03 PM
When I built mine it was 1'-0" from the floor to the ledge where the grates sat on. Then from the ledge to the top of the rail is 1'-10 1/2". I pretty much copied a Leader WSE arch.

NhShaun
02-07-2015, 08:39 AM
When I built mine it was 1'-0" from the floor to the ledge where the grates sat on. Then from the ledge to the top of the rail is 1'-10 1/2". I pretty much copied a Leader WSE arch.
Thanks! I pretty much copied your copy. Going to get my grate welded today!