PDA

View Full Version : When to Measure Density?

Jonnyp390
03-17-2014, 11:25 AM
What temperature is your syrup at when you measure final density with a hydrometer? My Hydrometer has a red line that is marked 211 deg, but I am checking density at 218-220 degrees. Do I cool the syrup slightly before measuring, or do I float the red line a tad low assuming that it will thicken as it cools?

Last night I cooked to 220, which floated the red line flush, but I noticed that the syrup dripping off the cup was solidifying into globs, which I assumed meant that I was over density. Any advice would be appreciated.

wnybassman
03-17-2014, 01:00 PM
What temperature is your syrup at when you measure final density with a hydrometer? My Hydrometer has a red line that is marked 211 deg, but I am checking density at 218-220 degrees. Do I cool the syrup slightly before measuring, or do I float the red line a tad low assuming that it will thicken as it cools?

Last night I cooked to 220, which floated the red line flush, but I noticed that the syrup dripping off the cup was solidifying into globs, which I assumed meant that I was over density. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the theory is by the time you get the syrup in the cup, and slowly lower the hydrometer into it, it will have cooled down to around that 211º mark.

wiam
03-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Are you checking temp in container hydrometer is in?

Sugarmaker
03-17-2014, 03:49 PM
If syrup is coming off the spoon, dipper or ladle in globs you are very close or at or above syrup. Unless you are at sea level I would check your thermometer for calibration using water on the stove. Most places water boils at less than 212. Yesterday we made syrup at 218.8 prior boil was 217.3, and I like to make it on the heavy side so the Hot test red line was 1/8 inch above the syrup in the cup.
Lots of folks use the Acu-cup from Maple guys to check syrup temp in the cup.
If I see the syrup aproning or sheeting off the dipper then I check with the hydrometer at that time your getting close.
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Chris

wall hollow
03-17-2014, 08:02 PM
if you have the red line at or above the syrup level when it is at 219 will this cause crystallization in the bottles. I am trying to work on clearer syrup this year. one is to filter better. I am also looking for ways to reduce sugar crystallization.

adk1
03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
I am working on the same thing. I tyro ally get crystallization sometimes allot. I always use a hydrometer. One thing that I have learned though is that when I reheat the filtered syrup to bottle I am actually evaporating even more so u have to consider that as well. I am going to try adjusting this year using the temp chart when I bottle. Then I can add water to dilute if need be. I don't know as if I have ever been to light.